28 acres worth a hay operation?

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #31  
cast_kimball.jpg

I forgot - some of these folks might not know Mr Kimball.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #32  
Weve got a county agent and while I've never asked for advice hes as whole lot better than Hank Kimball. I only bale 15 acres and don't consider myself an operation but it provides food for our beef cattle and our horses. Is it worth it? Does it pencil out? Probably and then some but if I didn't like it I wouldn't do it.
You should be proud doing it yourself makes you self reliant. And that's a big plus. A self reliant man who has Know How never has to wait on the time & pleasure of others to get things done.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #33  
I get a kick when somebody recommends to see the county agent. Has anybody ever gotten any decent information from a county agent?

Yes, here in VA most of the agri-agents are home grown from our in state universities and institutions. The out reach and give back is a pretty healthy eco-system.

Go hokies!

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #34  
If you try this, check with what the market is on Horse Hay. Horse folks are very picky and will pay a premium for weed free native hay here. If you go that way you will be dealing with standard square bales <snip>/QUOTE]
And you will also be dealing with horse people who are very picky. There's been several threads here I remember telling about difficulties with horse people.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #35  
I get a kick when somebody recommends to see the county agent. Has anybody ever gotten any decent information from a county agent?

Not from a county agent. But the local USDA office in Red Bluff was helpful in the past when I was into haying.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #36  
If you try this, check with what the market is on Horse Hay. Horse folks are very picky and will pay a premium for weed free native hay here. If you go that way you will be dealing with standard square bales <snip>/QUOTE]
And you will also be dealing with horse people who are very picky. There's been several threads here I remember telling about difficulties with horse people.
That's another reason why I don't like to sell hay. I don't put up with picky from my wife. I certainly aint going to with some customer.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #37  
That's another reason why I don't like to sell hay. I don't put up with picky from my wife. I certainly aint going to with some customer.

well glad to see you are still happily married given your response. going back to the OP question, i still hold that economically, his acreage doesn't justify hay equip outlay. now, having said that...if he wants, and can afford, go for it in the best means as he sees fit. on a personal note, i have always held my own rural acreage in high regard and in my dreams for many years. sometimes, that does not make economic sense. i built 2 new ponds close to the original spring fed pond for 10k. then proceeded to install another 6k in landscaping (all labor solo except dozing) around the successful adventure. fortunately, a big success although with no capital return. so....all i am saying is that 28 acres will not yield a justifiable hay income given hay equip capital outlay (unless inherited or an auction steal) but there is no price you can put on your dreams. (& more importantly, your significant other must stand by your side if she agrees, otherwise, the loss will be far greater than monetary) best regards

Last edited:
   / 28 acres worth a hay operation? #38  
I also understand the picky hay people - I was one until I stated cutting my own. I have just a few select clients that I cut hay for and do not have much left over for the other shoppers. I'm getting $7 a bale for first cutting this year, but I can help load with my grapple. I also make sure my hay is dry. I bale at 8 to 12% and no higher.

For this first cutting I got good seed head retain-age. I let it dry flat for 4 days (I use a sickle mower) then raked the evening of the 4th and baled afternoon of the fifth day. I do not have a conditioner either, thus the extra drying time. I pulled 200 bales off of 8 acres of native grass, and 72 off of my own 1.75 acre fields with fertilizer. We have irrigation water, so were only weather dependent to cut and dry. Other lots in the subdivision ranged from 16 to 47 bales depending on how much there was to cut around their houses on the 3 acre lots.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #39  
I am haying 16 acres and got 19 5x6 rounds and these were some pretty sorrowful looking bales. Should be cutting again in about 4 to 6 weeks.

/ 28 acres worth a hay operation? #40