Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower?

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
What do you need for HP to run an 8 ft single auger snowblower? I've been on the lookout for a 5 footer or so but might have stumbled onto this 8 footer. It's bigger than I want but it might be an offer I can't refuse and I do have the HP to run it. A search is iffy with conflicting advice so I thought to ask here. Anyone have an 8 ft snowblower and what does it take to run it? Thanks in advance.

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #2  
I have used one on 5600 Ford which I believe was around 55 HP. Heavy snow meant feathering the clutch but it did the job. This same blower would stall a 2-85 White (85 HP) if pushed to hard. Biggest question is can your tractor lift it on the 3 point without you star gazing? The 5600 was light on the front but it would still turn and drive with no extra weights on the front.

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #3  
Using the rule of thumb of 5hp per foot, you would be looking at 40hp. Myself, I think a higher horsepower would be needed. A lot would depend on the rate/speed at which you blow the snow.
I have 55hp tractor and think the limit for me would be 8ft, though a 7ft would take a lot of power too.

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #4  
Rate/speed of blowing is a big factor but also related to how much snow you are faced with. If you are in southern Ohio, you would seldom be trying to blow through huge drifts. Up near the lake, you might get occasional massive lake-effect snows that would force you to slow way, way down (as in mid or even low range) to move the stuff (especially the real wet, heavy snow).
I have a six-footer on a 38 PTO hp tractor and mostly manage in mid range. Last winter we totalled nearly five and a half meters of snow here and I spent a lot of time in low range...and, late in the season, even more time trying to find a place to blow it all!

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower?
I'm in central south Ohio so the snow is no big deal, but every now and then it could be. My 89 HP Deere would do the trick but I'm beginning to think I might be able to get away with the 51 HP Kubota MX5100 most of the time. That's the better tractor because it starts easier in the cold. I have always been under the (false) impression these snowblowers took lots more horsepower than they apparently do. Good info here. Thanks.

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #6  
A HST will make a huge difference if the blower is a bit bigger. Trivial to vary your ground speed to get max throughput without overloading the engine. Probably end up going really slow if the snow is deep & the blower is big. Assuming your 3pt can lift it & keep the front on the ground.

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #7  
I have a 90" inierted and have operated it with two different tractors.
One with 65 hp at engine and the other with 64 hp on pto.
This blower will challenge both of these tractors unless you have a way to go real slow which is frustrating.
Agree with caution "can you lift the 8' blower when its covered in wet snow"? It is not just the blower weight you need to be concerned with
Dave M7040

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #8  
A HST will make a huge difference if the blower is a bit bigger. Trivial to vary your ground speed to get max throughput without overloading the engine. Probably end up going really slow if the snow is deep & the blower is big. Assuming your 3pt can lift it & keep the front on the ground.
BX1500 with 50" front thrower will do about 1mph in 15" heavy snow. Uses 1 gallon per hour. ... YES - HST is the ticket

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower? #9  
What do you need for HP to run an 8 ft single auger snowblower? I've been on the lookout for a 5 footer or so but might have stumbled onto this 8 footer. It's bigger than I want but it might be an offer I can't refuse and I do have the HP to run it. A search is iffy with conflicting advice so I thought to ask here. Anyone have an 8 ft snowblower and what does it take to run it? Thanks in advance.
i have a 9N Ford 19 HP tractor and have a 8" single stage blower on it for 40 years ! If you don't let the snow get to deep before you blow it will work well ! If it gets over a foot deep i have to lift the blower up and make a pass or two to get it down to driveway ! then blow a quarter of the width till I get it all blown out ! My Daughter has a 30 HP Massey Ferguson with a 8 Ft. Blower and Live PTO and works much better and you can lower the gear speed if the snow is very deep or very heavy .

/ Horsepower needed to run 8 ft 3 point snowblower?
i have a 9N Ford 19 HP tractor and have a 8" single stage blower on it for 40 years ! If you don't let the snow get to deep before you blow it will work well ! If it gets over a foot deep i have to lift the blower up and make a pass or two to get it down to driveway ! then blow a quarter of the width till I get it all blown out ! My Daughter has a 30 HP Massey Ferguson with a 8 Ft. Blower and Live PTO and works much better and you can lower the gear speed if the snow is very deep or very heavy .
Thank you