When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #91  
Not "farming", we have a "Horse Ranch".

And I am guessing that you have never crawled under a cedar tree to cut it down. When those little sharp pieces break off of the branches and go down inside your shirt, it is very uncomfortable. :eek:

Xfaxman, Looks like you are having fun, sounds good to me. I would do it different but who cares, I don't. Ed

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #92  
Xfaxman - I've always enjoyed your posts and all the pictures. I'm glad you posted this separately instead of in "today's seat time".

What is the travel distance of the gorilla grapple tine tips full open to full closed? What is the length of the cylinder that moves them? Just wondering how you got the very impressive 37,000 pounds of force at the tips! I know some on here doubt that claim. You can easily verify by answering these two questions. We already know it's a 4" cylinder at 3000 psi.

I've never heard you say or even imply that you have the best stuff. You do like to show it off just like every single one of us on here likes to do with our own equipment! So I don't see why people take exception to that. All that said, you do have some very cool stuff some people may react the way they do because they are green with envy! I know I'd like to have some of that cool stuff!

Finally... you use a reciprocating saw in place of a chain saw... Are you nuts! All of you other equipment makes a lot of sense for what you do with it - so I don't understand this choice. I know you are retired and have time, but that's like cutting the grass with scissors! You must have had a bad chainsaw experience to turn you off to them so much. How long does it take to cut through a 12" piece of hardwood with a reciprocating saw anyway? I'm just curious because I would never have the patience to find out myself. Not when I can do the same thing in ~3 seconds with a chainsaw!

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?
----------------------------

What is the travel distance of the gorilla grapple tine tips full open to full closed ? It would be hard to measure the arc of travel. Full open is 31.5 above the lower tines. Full closed is 3 or 4 inches below the lower tines.

P4090037.JPG

What is the length of the cylinder that moves them? 8" stroke. Here is a picture from the day it was delivered, 1-26-2011, that shows the geometry involved:

P1260005.JPG

Just wondering how you got the very impressive 37,000 pounds of force at the tips! From the manufactures Website that I posted the link to in post# 30, that the naysayers didn't click.

Here is the link:
Heavy Duty Grapples - 6 tine, 10 tine and 10 tine wide attachments for skid steers - Sidney Manufacturing

I know some on here doubt that claim. You can easily verify by answering these two questions. We already know it's a 4" cylinder at 3000 psi.

--------------------------------

Finally... you use a reciprocating saw in place of a chain saw... Are you nuts! All of you other equipment makes a lot of sense for what you do with it - so I don't understand this choice. I know you are retired and have time, but that's like cutting the grass with scissors! You must have had a bad chainsaw experience to turn you off to them so much. How long does it take to cut through a 12" piece of hardwood with a reciprocating saw anyway? I'm just curious because I would never have the patience to find out myself. Not when I can do the same thing in ~3 seconds with a chainsaw!
I have never timed it with a stopwatch, but would guess it was less than 30 seconds on that dead tree.

And no bad experience with chainsaws, I just don't need one now.

Also have friends with chainsaws if the need arises. :D

Here is a snip from the Website for those that don't know how to click a link:

gg.JPG

Last edited:
   / When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #94  
I clicked on the link, and I still don't believe it. My shopvac is rated at 6.5 hp, but I don't believe that either.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #95  
Not "farming", we have a "Horse Ranch".

I am guessing that you have never crawled under a cedar tree to cut it down. When those little sharp pieces break off of the branches and go down inside your shirt, it is very uncomfortable. :eek:

I see.

Well, you've guessed wrong. I'm well acquainted with eastern red cedar. We use a chain saw.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #96  
I see.

Well, you've guessed wrong. I'm well acquainted with eastern red cedar. We use a chain saw.

Derek, I'm assuming they are just as prolific in VA as they are in MO???? :(

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #97  
The marketers for the gorilla grapple pulled a fast one. They used the number for cylinder force for a 4" cylinder at 3000 pounds and indicated that this is the force at the ends of the tines. However, based on the dimensions you shared, the force at the end of the tines is on average about 1/5th of the cylinder force, or about 7500 pounds. The force would vary through the the arc as the cylinder angle changes.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #98  
XFax started this thread to show off his equipment and show his pictures. I think it's pretty disrespectful to come right out and start giving him a hard time for posting pictures online of his equipment. If you don't want to look at them, no one is forcing you to open his thread.

Personally, I think if you post too many non relevant pictures/info in someone else's thread, then there is justification to call someone out on it within reason, however, if you guys have a problem with him starting his own thread and posting pics, then I think that is quite disrespectful. This is just my own opinion and take that for what it's worth.

If you guys aren't aware, there is an "ignore" option that will block you from seeing all of someones posts.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #99  
I think people get jealous if you have nice equipment.