Sludge in Rotella T5

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #1  

davesl708

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200D,
I just changed the engine oil after 100 hrs. I used Rotella T5. I found clumps of sludge in the drain pan afterwards.
I use Kubota filters. The tractor has 1380hrs on it.

Has anyone found this in their oil? I have not found sludge before using other oils in any of my equipment or vehicles.

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #2  
I've used T6 more than T5, but I've never had that issue. Although, the T5 I used was a (edit - "full" synthetic) version that I don't think was available in the USA.

Rotella in general is usually pretty good, in terms of detergent levels - what oil did you use previously ?

What time span (months) did that 100 hours cover ? Is that the factory change interval for your tractor ?

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Sludge in Rotella T5
I am currently running T6 in it.
The T5 I used was synthetic blend.
I used T5 since I bought the tractor five years ago. This is my third oil change. The OEM recommends 200hr change but I changed it at 100hrs. It was in for about one year.

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #4  
have you been in charge of oil change intervals on those 1300 hrs? come w/a service record? oil may just be doing it's job on a neglected engine, perhaps dangerously so? if it's breaking up sludge, may want to change more often. or could this just be moisture buildup? just a thought best regards

/ Sludge in Rotella T5
have you been in charge of oil change intervals on those 1300 hrs? come w/a service record? oil may just be doing it's job on a neglected engine, perhaps dangerously so? if it's breaking up sludge, may want to change more often as it breaks up. or could this just be moisture buildup? just a thought best regards

I used T5 since I bought the tractor five years ago. This is my third oil change. The OEM recommends 200hr change but I changed it at 100hrs. It was in for about one year.

I bought the tractor with 1170hrs on it. I do not know what the service was before I got it. I do know it was due when I got it and the trans/hyd. fluid was in bad shape.

The tractor is stored in an unheated garage.

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #6  
ok, think the T6 move was a good one. so.....in 5 yrs, you've added 200 hrs? lots of cold short runs? personally would change oil annually regardless of hrs or whether using syn. or dino. moisture buildup & previously neglected oil changes could be the culprit. bet you'll be ok once it levels out.

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #7  

I bought the tractor with 1170hrs on it. I do not know what the service was before I got it. I do know it was due when I got it and the trans/hyd. fluid was in bad shape.

The tractor is stored in an unheated garage.

I'm with bb - probably just the T5 doing it's job on old deposits. Easy to spend somebody else's money..... that said, I'd probably change it at 50 hours next time - at a minimum I'd sample the oil for analysis, to see if anything major shows up in testing.

Plenty of people (I'm one) get great service from T6.

Rgds, D.

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #8  
I'm with bb - probably just the T5 doing it's job on old deposits. Easy to spend somebody else's money..... that said, I'd probably change it at 50 hours next time - at a minimum I'd sample the oil for analysis, to see if anything major shows up in testing.

Plenty of people (I'm one) get great service from T6.

Rgds, D.

dido. maybe change semi annually or every 50 hrs till it clears out. & hi quality filters.... :)

/ Sludge in Rotella T5
I think I will get an analysis on the oil. I use OEM filters and the original owner did too. Just don't think he did it timely.
When I had the valve cover off for valve adjustment the top was clean with no build up or lacquer.

Thanks for the input.

/ Sludge in Rotella T5 #10  
you're probably right and wise choice on your move.