Mf 30 info

/ Mf 30 info #1  

georgia088

Tractor
Mf 30?
I think I may have posted this in the wrong thread earlier so I am moving it here. Please correct me if I'm not doing it right! I'm new!

Hello all and thanks in advance. I am looking at purchasing a mf tractor with backhoe and front end loader. It has several issues and I know very little about them. I am trying to determine exactly what model it is, how many hp, engine manufacturer, etc. I know it is a 4 cylinder diesel. It has three foot pedals ( forward, reverse, and throttle) I have found the serial number: 9A T73I38. Does that mean it is a 73? Does this tractor have the Perkins AD4-203 engine? Where is a good place to purchase a rebuild kit for the engine?Again, thanks for all the help!

/ Mf 30 info
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1335.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG
Here are a few. I hope that worked.

/ Mf 30 info
Sorry. New to this. Hope this works:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453430254.860263.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453430307.333427.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453430348.823428.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453430370.468582.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453430389.441069.jpg
Thanks for help!

/ Mf 30 info #7  
If it is a Perkins, there should be plate near the top right? of the engine which says Perkins and below that there will be a number stamped on a plate. Then if it is Perkins, call your nearest Perkins dealer and give them the number, they will then tell you what year and model of engine and should be able to supply you with the kits you need.
Or you could get aftermarket engine parts from Bareco but I have found the genuine Perkins parts better quality.
I cant tell for sure what model of tractor you have, it could be a 30 or a 31 or even something else, they seem very similar and there aren't any serial numbers listed there on Tractor data. But I suspect it is a 30 with a 34 loader and a Perkins AD4 engine.
You could call an AGCO dealer and ask them to look up your Massey serial number and they should be able to tell you all about your tractor.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 31 industrial tractor information
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 30 industrial tractor information

Perkins distributors:Perkins Power Corp Dealers
Online Perkins parts dealer: https://www.perkinspartsdirect.com/
AGCO/Massey dealer locator Dealer Locator
http://www.bare-co.com/home.aspx

Last edited:
   / Mf 30 info #8  
Just a word of caution. The MF 30 industrial seems to be quite rare these days. The Perkins engine parts are one issue but the parts for the rest of the machine are another and I think there you might have a problem which you should research. Massey/Agco really aren't into supporting parts for older tractors like Perkins are. So you are left to the mercy of aftermarket suppliers for everything other than the engine. This isnt really a problem for most older ag Massey tractors as there are quite a few aftermarket distributors who bring in a very wide range of parts from India, Pakistan and Turkey mostly (although the quality can sometimes be, er, variable). However for a rare-ish industrial from the early 70's this may be a very different story.
You need to look closely at the parts pages of Bare-co (I would call them in CA), QTP in Ireland, Sparex and any other Massey parts suppliers in the States; to find out the position on parts before committing yourself. You might find out that the industrial 30 shares many parts with an ag Massey of the time (possibly the 165 which used the same engine I think) which does have good parts availability and decide to go ahead on the basis that there are enough shared parts to take the risk. On the other hand you might find that parts are going to be impossible....in which case, walk away would be my advice.

Edit: There was also a 1963/64, 30 ag tractor (different animal) so be careful not to confuse the two when researching parts.

Last edited:
   / Mf 30 info #9  
We have a old Massey Ferguson forklift of the same vintage as this 30. After you leave the engine area, parts are difficult to come by. We had to find a work-around to fix a main lift cyl this past summer because it had been discounted. Ken Sweet

/ Mf 30 info
Well I bit the bullet and bought it. Got it home today and played around with it. Runs really pretty good just "smokes" or really sprays oil. Got a couple hydraulic minor hydronic leaks that I will have to fix if I get all the other kinks worked out. Backhoe digs pretty good too as far as I can tell. Where the barrel attaches to the frame of the hoe is cracked which allows for it to bounce around and have lots of slop. The bearings and/or bushings that go in the bottom of the barrel are completely gone. Does anyone have parts breakdown of a mf54 backhoe. So I can see if it looks like mine? Still going to have to figure out what bushings and/or bearings I'm going to need to replace... Thanks again for the help.