Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28

/ Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28 #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
There is a possible solution for the weak curl of the Loader.

First off, the 1400Lb Lift at the pins just is not honest.

The Loader manual states that the 1402 Lbs lift at the pins is developed at 2175 PSI System Pressure, 100 PSI more than what the relief valve is actually set at. I read that other people ford the relief at only1,800 psi

That no big deal as the little thing will lift approx. 1,200 Lbs. at the pins and that is better than other tractors of its size. For instance, a JD tractor the same size as the MaX28 has 35mm lift cylinders on the JD 130 loader, while the Max28 & Max 26 has lift 45mm cylinders.

But the weak part of the loader is the scrawny 35 mm Bore, 25 Mm Rod x 425 Stroke (650 retracted /1075mm extended) length bucket cylinders.
Stuff the bucket into a pile and most situations it does not have the beans to curl out a scoop of material. The Loader with a QA must even be weaker.

The loader was designed that way for a few reasons. If you are aggressive, you could bend the loader and tip the tractor, prying with the outside edge of the bucket.
The ML205 loader is not really sturdy. and should not be used as a battering ram.

However, if you are reasonable, stronger curl cylinders would boost machine capability greatly.

I looked really hard for a pair of cylinders. None to be found with the correct stroke or extended length, pin size . etc.

1.5" bore would be nice, a, 34% increase in force. 40mm is even better 40mm bore would provide 66% more oomph!.

The Loader on the new 1526 just could save the day.

While it has just a bit more lift capability than the Max28, it cones with 40 mm bucket cylinders that have a 453 mm stroke, (644 retracted /1097mm extended) length bucket cylinders
Mahindra PN is KMW31502148.

The 644mm retracted length of the 1526's loader cylinder is a close match for the 650mm of the 35mm cylinder, but a positive stop would need to be added to the loader arms and bucket to prevent excessive extension.
My L39 Kubota has positive stops. I would have to fabricate and weld them to the Ml205 loader.

The tube ends would need to be trimmed, but that is not a difficult job.

As long as corner edge of the bucket is not used as a pry bar with reckless abandon, especially while driving the tractor forward, the loader should handle the increased power, loading. and stress.

Last edited:
   / Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28 #2  
Left us "all curious", did you move forward with your fix? You sound like you have done the homework and are on the threshold of jumping in; on the upgrade. If you do this please post the results as there are many of us who will follow suit.

/ Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28 #3  
Curious too!

/ Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28 #4  
3x !!!

/ Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28
Left us "all curious", did you move forward with your fix? You sound like you have done the homework and are on the threshold of jumping in; on the upgrade. If you do this please post the results as there are many of us who will follow suit.

Nope I have not done anything yet. I want to first get a welder, probably a MIG machine, before I tackle this. Thanks for asking. I'm a bit cash strapped right now.

I finally did some electric work in equipment building, installing extra ights and 220V plug for a welder. With my L39, a stronger loader on the Max is not urgent, but will be nice to have when i'm in the woods building trails, etc, and working around the property, where my wife would kill me if I trambled across with my heavier equipment. "Hey, don't worry, it will grow back"

Nope I have not done anything yet. I want to first get a welder, probably a MIG machine, before I tackle this. Thanks for asking. I'm a bit cash strapped right now.

I finally did some electric work in equipment building, installing extra ights and 220V plug for a welder. With my L39, a stronger loader on the Max is not urgent, but will be nice to have when i'm in the woods building trails, etc, and working around the property, where my wife would kill me if I trambled across with my heavier equipment. "Hey, don't worry, it will grow back"

My To Do list includes getting a welder so i can do a lot of these mods myself. I have Motorcycles to fix, Iron gates to make, other projectes utc etc, and I want to be able to design and make a nice set of travel stops for the loader armsto limit the bucket travel.

Up Sized Hydraulic for Weak Loader Curl back Force on Max28.

I'm looking a my options to obtain exact fit interchangeable up sized hydraulic cylinders for my tractor's loaders.

These will have to be custom built due to port location, that they are metric sized, and have non standard weird piston stroke and retracted lengths, as well as having metric pin bores.
The replacement DA Hydraulic Cylinders need to be 3000 # welded cylinders.

I have my two tractors that primarily want to increase the curl force on the attachment (Bucket attachment) cylinders. I would not mind also boosting the Lift a bit also.

Attached ismy spreadsheet on the info for the OEM cylinders and the up-rated version, It's just as an example.

I'm making CAD models and details dimension prints also.

I have a few leads as to where I can source these, but want to first get an idea of the potential quantity.

PM me if interested in doing a group buy or you just want a copy of the worksheet in Excel format.

Attachments

• Loader Clyinder Size & Force.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 326
  • P1030752.JPG
    P1030752.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 673
  • P1030504 (1280x960).jpg
    P1030504 (1280x960).jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
   / Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28 #8  
Will the hydro pump be able to keep up with the increased cyl size? They might just be too slow operating.

Will the hydro pump be able to keep up with the increased cyl size? They might just be too slow operating.

The Max28 loader speed might not be as fast as some Kubota's, but is faster than some Kioti's.

I may leave the lift cylinder as is as just address the weaker curl cylinders.

Also I will not be prying stumps and such with the edge of the bucket. I have an Excavator for that.

Re: Weak Loader Curl Possible Solution For the Max28 (Drawings attached)

If anyone wants i can PM you a spreadshead to caculate how much changinging cylinder size will effect capacity.

I can consider haveing Cylinders for othe loaders done also.

Attached are some cylinder drawings for the upsized Max28 with Ml205 loader.

Attachments

• Max28 Lift_OS 4-2-16.JPG
    Max28 Lift_OS 4-2-16.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 774
  • Max28 Curl OS _4-2-16.JPG
    Max28 Curl OS _4-2-16.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 675