looking to get a Kubota or JD

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #22  
I personally prefer the standard transmission over the HST , especially if you are working steep ground and have much 4wd activity. Just better control in my view.

This is the part of your post I have trouble with. In my view just the opposite is true. I live on very steep ground and have operated both straight gear and Hydrostatic machines here in Branson where a 2WD tractor would be useless, and the Hydrostatic machines give you much better control and safety than the gear machines.

I think some people base their usage of a hydrostatic tractor on how hydro lawn mowers operate, where they will roll off immediately down hill if you let off of the hydro pedal, and barely have enough power to climb some steep hills. But operation of a full size hydro tractor is nothing like that.

I have seen several poster say that gears are better for hilly ground, and I just ain't buying it. I have extensive operation of both in hilly terrains, and it just does not fit with my experiences.:confused3: What say others?

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #23  
I have seen several poster say that gears are better for hilly ground, and I just ain't buying it. I have extensive operation of both in hilly terrains, and it just does not fit with my experiences.:confused3: What say others?

Mine too, we have several tractors and the tractors I use the most are L5740HSTC and M8540HDC, I formerly used a Case CX80 and Massey Ferguson 375 on the same farms, all FWA-MFWD etc., we tried 2WD and quit.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #24  
This is the part of your post I have trouble with. In my view just the opposite is true. I live on very steep ground and have operated both straight gear and Hydrostatic machines here in Branson where a 2WD tractor would be useless, and the Hydrostatic machines give you much better control and safety than the gear machines.

This is a personal preference item -- HST versus gears. To each his own. The HST has the potential for being in the wrong range and, with good traction, sitting there humming rather than turning the wheels. The HST takes a % of the power away from whatever you started out with. Clutches are cheaper than HST drive units. You can coast a std transmission to start it if need be. Etc. I do mostly 4wd work on often steep ground with a 7ft bush hog. I prefer a std transmission.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #25  
And you have the potential to be in the wrong gear on geared machines and stalling out; neither is likely with an experienced operator.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #27  

I think some people base their usage of a hydrostatic tractor on how hydro lawn mowers operate, where they will roll off immediately down hill if you let off of the hydro pedal, and barely have enough power to climb some steep hills. But operation of a full size hydro tractor is nothing like that.

We do a lot of work on steep terrain also - when my buddy is working his land and on the ultra steep part he always asks me to bring my HST down and mow it with my 6' brush hog because I have some much more control than he has on a gear machine. He has been farming the land for 40 years and always says how much slower and safer my tractor is on the hill and even in the deep woods due to the tranny....

Last edited:
   / looking to get a Kubota or JD #28  
Either tractor will do the job, it's all in what you want, I like the HST better than the gear model, but that's just me.

The Kubota's and the Deere are both great tractors.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #29  
And you have the potential to be in the wrong gear on geared machines and stalling out; neither is likely with an experienced operator.

And if you *are* in the wrong gear and need to clutch it...well, now you better hope your brakes are good. With my HST, I can come to a full stop and even start to back up the hill, all under full power and control. In addition, I've seen a gear tractor stall out and at the moment of the stall, start running backwards, sucking in air from the exhaust. Granted that was under load from digging, not a hill, but I can imagine that wouldn't be a good time on a hill.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #30  
And if you *are* in the wrong gear and need to clutch it...well, now you better hope your brakes are good. With my HST, I can come to a full stop and even start to back up the hill, all under full power and control. In addition, I've seen a gear tractor stall out and at the moment of the stall, start running backwards, sucking in air from the exhaust. Granted that was under load from digging, not a hill, but I can imagine that wouldn't be a good time on a hill.

Wow, I guess it's a good thing an HST is available for those that can't operate geared equipment.