looking to get a Kubota or JD

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #31  
And if you *are* in the wrong gear and need to clutch it...well, now you better hope your brakes are good. With my HST, I can come to a full stop and even start to back up the hill, all under full power and control. In addition, I've seen a gear tractor stall out and at the moment of the stall, start running backwards, sucking in air from the exhaust. Granted that was under load from digging, not a hill, but I can imagine that wouldn't be a good time on a hill.

Yeah, we have a couple of tractors like that and only use them on our flat land farm, other than pi** poor brakes, they are really good old tractors. We have really good brakes on our M8540 fortunately as we often have to change directions on some pretty steep slopes.

I had an old two-stroke dirt bike that would stall out and start running backward if pushed to hard, really scary on a slope; usually bucked me off.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #32  
Yeah, we have a couple of tractors like that and only use them on our flat land farm, other than pi** poor brakes, they are really good old tractors. We have really good brakes on our M8540 fortunately as we often have to change directions on some pretty steep slopes.

You said it. I'd go with either HST or one of our geared tractors on a hillside; about the only transmission I wouldn't want would be any of the powershift types. If Kubota makes a powershift I don't know about it, but JD sure used that tranny a lot. I've got one of those now....and have had others, plus our land is about as rugged as usable land ever gets.
But what would really make up my mind more than the transmission for hillside work is brakes, side-hill stability, traction, and then brakes again and again and over again!.

Our old (and newish) farm tractors are sure wonderful machines and I'll bet they are still going strong, but none of them had brakes to compare with the brakes that are common on our TLB tractors.

Say, are you going to look at New Holland and others? Or is it just JD and Kubota?
luck, rScotty

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #33  
You said it. I'd go with either HST or one of our geared tractors on a hillside; about the only transmission I wouldn't want would be any of the powershift types. If Kubota makes a powershift I don't know about it, but JD sure used that tranny a lot. I've got one of those now....and have had others, plus our land is about as rugged as usable land ever gets.
But what would really make up my mind more than the transmission for hillside work is brakes, side-hill stability, traction, and then brakes again and again and over again!.

Our old (and newish) farm tractors are sure wonderful machines and I'll bet they are still going strong, but none of them had brakes to compare with the brakes that are common on our TLB tractors.

Say, are you going to look at New Holland and others? Or is it just JD and Kubota?
luck, rScotty

I hope I'm done buying tractors as we just use SCUT, CUT and UT now, never used any of the big Ag tractors used now. The predominant tractors in my area are 8000-9000 John Deeres, standard and a few articulated, one uses all tracked JD machines. I do like the New Hollands, but the last time I looked at them, my wife "suggested" I just keep driving. :) A neighbor just got one of these:

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #34  
I hope I'm done buying tractors as we just use SCUT, CUT and UT now, never used any of the big Ag tractors used now. The predominant tractors in my area are 8000-9000 John Deeres, standard and a few articulated, one uses all tracked JD machines. I do like the New Hollands, but the last time I looked at them, my wife "suggested" I just keep driving. :) A neighbor just got one of these:

Too many steps to get into the cab there TripleR!:D

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #35  
Too many steps to get into the cab there TripleR!:D

Ain't that the truth, I have enough trouble getting into our M8540, I'd have to stop and take a break climbing into that tractor.

My brother has been transporting and mixing chemicals for one of those tall John Deere spray rigs, talk about a climb, I'd need steps to get to the steps.:laughing:

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #37  
Wow, I guess it's a good thing an HST is available for those that can't operate geared equipment.
I guess you have never stalled a gear tractor.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #38  

luck, rScotty

I am one who prefers the stick shift. I used a JD4700 for 10 years on very steep ground at times with a 6ft bush hog and never had ANY problem with using the stick shift, the "power reverser" as Deere calls the power shuttle, or the brakes. YES, all the major manufacturers sell power shuttle transmissions to the point where it is the defacto standard now. Deere was years ahead of the others on that in the utility tractors soon followed by New Holland, Kubota and Massey. But it took almost a decade for the whole industry to come out with the power shuttle. I agree on the brakes !! My MF 2660 had the "4 disc" version of their brakes which will not stop the wheels from turning on a 40% slope -- suicide. MF eventually installed a "5 disc" set of brakes for me and it is fine now. No matter the transmission you darn well better have brakes.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #39  
We have a HST Kubota that's great for loader work (bought used). Problem is that Kubota uses a rocker pedal and my right knee feels the back-and-forth twisting action the next night and day.

A neighbor has a Massey that features separate pedals and it's built a lot heavier and the cab is spacious. ( heavier is better). The Kubota's been reliable and great value , but I'd still shop MF if at all close to your location and if the dealer is deemed reputable.

One final note - ensure that the rear wheels are set far enough out to accommodate chains.

/ looking to get a Kubota or JD #40  
Let me give an example of HST efficiency. There's a lot loads of poop spread here on the farm as the cattle are fed on a concrete feedlot. Either of the HST's here can heap load a 155 bushel manure spreader in under 4 minutes. The old gear drive IH 574 which had a mechanical shuttle for forward and reverse took close 10 but some of that was because it was 2WD. When they bought the HST no one knew exactly what to expect but it has far and away been one of the best decisions made here as far as equipment purchases. Now if you're talking doing flat out field work, they like nothing better than the gear drive and the powershift of the 5140.

As far as being in the wrong range, you can shift from range to range just as fast or not faster than you shift a gear drive.