Well that was fun.

/ Well that was fun. #31  
Are you talking about the truck across the creek that I had to go get and drag back across? That's the difference between snorkel and no snorkel. I just hooked him up and dragged him back over. Lucky for him he shut it down before he hydrolocked the engine. We yanked the plugs, pumped the water out and he was good to go although I did have to loan him a dry air filter. On the same run, I had to drag another one that rolled his two and half times, all the way back to camp in the dark. He tried to follow my line with an IFS rig running a nose bleed lift and big tires. All tall and tippy like and suitable for the mall running only. After I rolled it back off of it's noggin, we had to use a farm jack to jack the roof up enough so he could get in it to steer. His truck was done for. Next morning, we dragged it back to the road, put it on a flatbed and we never heard from him again. At least he didn't die, only a small pine tree kept him from rolling right off the edge of a cliff. I don't think there were any buttons left on his seat covers. The Sierra is rugged country when you get up high.

Yeah I still have it and drive it. It's a 95 Toyota Tacoma that I've modified a lot. When I go to town people around here try to buy it but I'm not selling.

No actually I was talking about the Jeep or Sami or whatever it is over his hood in the water.

/ Well that was fun. #32  
When I ordered my 2007 F250 I spec'd manual hubs and manual transfer case. It does suck to get out to engage but it has never failed.

If ordering a truck, that would be my choice as well. As I said earlier, I always spin my hubs in anyway, never relying on the "auto" feature.

/ Well that was fun. #33  
I have shift-on-the-fly 4x4 engagement on my 2005 Ford F150. Its a fantastic system when it works. However, sometime in the dead of winter the "shift & the fly" tend to freeze up. I've had to crawl under the unit and hit this system lightly with a propane torch to break it loose. And its ALWAYS at the worse time possible.

I wish they still made the old 100% mechanical 4WD engagement systems as a option. Not all of us only need 4WD when stuck in a city parking lot.

I don't know if you get a choice with a new truck??

Luke just got a new 2016 Super Duty. I don't remember him talking about that choice though. I'll ask on his thread.

/ Well that was fun. #34  
Fords come with a hub that is both auto and manual on the F250 and F350. The transfer case motor is still electric switching. The F150 is only auto hubs and electric transfer case switching. Both GM and Dodge/Fiat/Ram is like the F150 in all weight classes...auto hubs and electric transfer case switching only.

/ Well that was fun. #35  
Fords come with a hub that is both auto and manual on the F250 and F350. The transfer case motor is still electric switching. The F150 is only auto hubs and electric transfer case switching. Both GM and Dodge/Fiat/Ram is like the F150 in all weight classes...auto hubs and electric transfer case switching only.

Does the GM or Dodge even have front hubs?? That's something new if they do.

/ Well that was fun. #36  
My 96 F150 with 5spd manual and OEM automatic hubs no longer engage.

Is it something that can be taken apart and cleaned and lubed or better to replace aftermarket.

I do have OEM hubs from a 1978 F250 on the shelf and don't know if they would work on the 96?

/ Well that was fun. #37  
Warn and others make direct replacements that are pretty easy to swap out.

/ Well that was fun. #38  
Pretty common for the motor to be the issue on the Fords. Or at least the contact piece that tells it where the motor is set to at the moment, also on the motor. I like manual transfer cases just for this reason. Cool that the 4x4 trick worked for you.

/ Well that was fun. #39  
In the 60's and 70's we called those Land Crusher's "Saki Suckers"... You guys taking those furin rigs on Jeep trails. Honestly :D FWIW I was born in a '42 GPW, and bleed Jeep even though I have not had one in a few years...

The Dusy and the Con are on the bucket list. My 88 is IFS though, so I will need to take my Landcruiser.

/ Well that was fun. #40  
No actually I was talking about the Jeep or Sami or whatever it is over his hood in the water.

It's a Heep. He's likely being swept downstream by the current. Fordyce creek likes to eat fools and their rigs who aren't paying attention or who seem to ignore it. You have to check stream flows before you even hit that trail. PG&E decides when they are going to release from Fordyce reservoir and when they do the creek is too high and the current too swift for most anything to cross. The trail crosses the creek in several places so if you aren't careful you can end up marooned for a few days.