Help selecting a Post Driver

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #21  
I can't speak for the 3-point mount itself, but everything from the manual adjust to the pounder itself looks identical on the Kencove to the Shaver. 99.99% sure it's the same driver.

As a side note, I ended up purchasing a used Shaver when I found it for a good price - HD10 with 3-point and SSQA mounts in good condition with full hydraulics for $1500. They do come up here and there on Craigslist. The few questions I've asked Shaver they have been really nice to deal with... seems like a stand-up company.

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #22  
$23 a post!? Holy cow. Was that just labor? 3 board fence I'm lucky to get $10-11/ft for everything.

/ Help selecting a Post Driver
I think the best way to do it is to add the power beyond plug into the post pounder's valve, and then run it back into the remote. That way the pump is never dead-headed, the fluid is constantly flowing.

This sounds like a good plan. I haven't seen it mentioned in my previous wanderings through other tractorbynet post driver discussions.

What is needed to implement this? Is there an output plug on the post driver valve that would get replaced with some type of power beyond adapter plug? A new line would then get run from the power beyond adapter on the post driver back to my tractor's rear remote?

As a side note, I ended up purchasing a used Shaver when I found it for a good price - HD10 with 3-point and SSQA mounts in good condition with full hydraulics for $1500. They do come up here and there on Craigslist.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a little while before pulling the trigger on a new one. At the current time I could only fine one within 2 hours of my home. The seller was asking $3K, and it looked like it had been out in the weather quite some time.

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #24  
This sounds like a good plan. I haven't seen it mentioned in my previous wanderings through other tractorbynet post driver discussions.

What is needed to implement this? Is there an output plug on the post driver valve that would get replaced with some type of power beyond adapter plug? A new line would then get run from the power beyond adapter on the post driver back to my tractor's rear remote?

Using a power beyond port as a return on a Shaver valve set as an open center valve is needlessly redundant. The valve is open center, return flow when the valve spool is centered is open via the zero pressure return connection. The only time the flow is deadheaded would be if you held a spool in lift position with the cylinder fully extended.

$23 a post!? Holy cow. Was that just labor? 3 board fence I'm lucky to get $10-11/ft for everything.

I'm not sure what your $10-$11/ft includes, but is how my quote worked:

Full fencing (lumber AND labor) was $2.80/ft for boards and $4.80/ft for posts ($7.60/ft total). I've got about 1100 feet of fencing to do. That's $5280 lumber and labor just for setting the posts. Over 1100 feet is roughly 142 posts (spaced @ 7'9"). Cost of posts is ~$12 per post which is about $1704 for the lumber (posts only). So, $5280 minus $1704 is $3576 in labor for setting the 142 posts. That's equates closer to $25 in labor per post.

My father-in-law paid $14 per post from the same contractor about a month earlier. When I questioned the contractor, he said that the work quoted for my father-in-law was very low. I guess I was getting the "We don't need the work" price...

So, when I saw that a post driver was about $4000 new and labor for someone to do the work was $3600, it go me thinking. ...and since I have about another 2200 ft of fencing to do in the year or so, the post driver option started to make sense.

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #26  
4x4 on 7' centers. 80 bag of sackrete/post. 3 2"x8"s and a 2x4 nose board. Hot dipped GRS. Materials and labor. Gate posts are 6x6 with 3 bags sackrete. Where do you live?

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #27  
Using a power beyond port as a return on a Shaver valve set as an open center valve is needlessly redundant. The valve is open center, return flow when the valve spool is centered is open via the zero pressure return connection. The only time the flow is deadheaded would be if you held a spool in lift position with the cylinder fully extended.

If it's open center, yes... I believe the default is closed center though. That's how mine was at least.

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #28  
If it's open center, yes... I believe the default is closed center though. That's how mine was at least.

They ship open center. If you need CC an optional CC plug needs to be ordered.

Power Beyond isn't needed in a CC system. You simply tee the supply line to however many valves are present.

/ Help selecting a Post Driver #29  
I took a look at these. You ca get a skid steer adapter for the Shaver as well. Unfortunately, I only have lift and tilt control on my FEL, so I would have to plumb another supply and return line up front. On the back end I already have a rear remote that I can hold open as a supply and I would only need to route a return line. Although I'm not sure how best to route the return on my Kubota just yet, so that might be just as much work.

The clamp and tilt functions are part of the control package on the Danseur. I believe all you need is a 12 VDC power supply for the selector valve.

4x4 on 7' centers. 80 bag of sackrete/post. 3 2"x8"s and a 2x4 nose board. Hot dipped GRS. Materials and labor. Gate posts are 6x6 with 3 bags sackrete. Where do you live?

I'm in Gloucester County in South Eastern, VA. My quote only included concrete on the gate posts which were also 6x6s. Corner posts were 6x6s, but no concrete. The board portion of the quote included rough cut 1x6x16's. The line posts were rough cut 4x4s.