Fabri-cobble

/ Fabri-cobble #1  

kencunningham

Silver Member
I haven't made anything in awhile and the itch was returning, so I just had to scratch. Hmmm, what to make? I look around at all the scrap junk, ummm , I mean treasures that have seemed to multiply over time. So, I sit down in the shop and pop open a beer, I do my best thinking while relaxing with nothing more to worry about than getting another when the one I have gets empty. So, after the "magic" number of 12oz liquid brain stimulators, :checkmark: I get to work.

I had to change out a 12 knife gate valve manual handle with a linear pneumatic actuator at work due to the lead time of the vendor supplying the valve already assembled as a automated unit. This allowed me to acquire these parts free of charge.
DSCF1571.JPG

I had one of these
DSCF1576.JPG
left over from making this.
DSCF1580.JPG

So, along with some pipe and plate that I had, this was the end result.

DSCF1577.JPGDSCF1578.JPG

Now that I have a adjustable pipe support to use in conjunction with my welding table, I need put this thing to use. I was thinking about making another one of these to sell, though simplified with straight handles and most likely one angle support bar on each side to make it faster to build.

DSCF1293.JPG

So........How much would you think a reasonable person would be willing to pay something like this? Keep in mind that it uses metal thrust bearings and there will be no plastic parts, and of course you have to factor in the parts cost and my time. (which takes away from the previously mentioned quality time sucking down beer while dreaming up new things to fabri-cobble from my treasures.

If you wish to make something like this pipe support for yourself then you all you need is the some sch 40 1 and 1 1/4 pipe, plus the other items that I showed at the start of this post. The pull pin can be bought from McMaster, and can probably be found on ebay. I did use some .020 thick abs plastic sheet material to line the inside of the 11/4 pipe, this takes out almost all of the play between the two pc of pipe, but not necessary. You can also get acme rod and nuts from McMaster, because I know most will not have old valve parts laying around. I did put holes every two inches in the inner pipe from gross adjustment. Almost forgot to add that the acme rod should be 1 inch to fit the 1 inch pipe with very little slop.

Last edited:
   / Fabri-cobble #2  
We used to make a crude pipe jack like that just using 2" and 1.5" pipe for the rough adjustment part. Welding a big washer on top of the 1.5" pipe to fit a 1" coarse threaded bolt. Weld cold roll or rebar onto a 1" nut for handles. Legs were usually saddled on using 3/4" or 1" pipe (whatever was handy-sometimes even using rebar. TO set the sliding pipe, we would just cut a hole in the 2" and weld on a 3/4 or 5/8 nut. The matching bolt would then have a rebar welded across the head to form a T for hand adjustment. Nothing fancy like you made but it worked. Oh and a piece of 3x3 or 4x4 angle on top to hold the pipe. This was all before OSHA made us stop fabrication of onsite tools without an engineered drawing. They were similar to the store bought pipe jacks but much stronger (and heavier)and we never had any one of them bend or break with use.

/ Fabri-cobble
That is what fabri-cobble is all about, using what you have on had to make something usefull. Good job!

/ Fabri-cobble
Over 200 hundred views and no one has given my any idea on what I can get for building one of these, look at this and maybe that will get you to post some numbers.
DSCF1292 - YouTube

Thanks, Ken

/ Fabri-cobble #5  
Ken. Very nice job of fabbing up that that stand ( and repurposing extra parts)!

In my opinion anyone IN NEED of true pipe stands will be more than capable of making his own OR purchasing manufactured ones for $85 and up.

Buying new has all the added benefits of purchasing with a credit card ( air miles), warranty, a return policy and quite possibly free shipping.

Terry

/ Fabri-cobble
I'm really surprised that no one has given me any feedback on what the whirly bird would be worth, I have had lots of people say I should make more and try to sell some.

/ Fabri-cobble #7  
Really nice.

I suspect there may be liability risks involved with such equipment that may not exist with other fabricated metal work which may be worth considering if you build more.

/ Fabri-cobble #8  
Really nice.

I suspect there may be liability risks involved with such equipment that may not exist with other fabricated metal work which may be worth considering if you build more.

You may be correct, I haven't seen a marry-go-round at any playground for 30 years or more.

/ Fabri-cobble #9  
Really nice.

Kinda what I was thinking... pinched fingers and such. I agree it very nice though. I don't have any idea on pricing but if you do 'go into business' I would protect yourself personally from a suit. LLC or such.

/ Fabri-cobble #10  
Only you know the amount of labor and materials in the product - and, more importantly, what you think your time is worth. If you can't come up with a price, why do you expect other people to be able to give you a price?

Welding stands go for between $50 - $120 depending upon size, features, and weight ratings. Most pipe welding stands are around $70 - $90. A lot of them have tripod legs that fold up so that the stand can be easily stored or transported to a job site.

Without folding legs and no weight rating - $50.