Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs?

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #61  
   / Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #62  
Not to hijack this thread, but let me ask you a question. We moved to Texas a few years ago from rural Illinois. In Illinois, the power companies will install a streetlight on your farm property at no initial charge for a very attractive, non metered, fixed, monthly, rate. They started doing this probably 60 years ago, and as a result, almost every farm is lit up by at least one. Here in Texas, the norm seems to be that not a single light shows on most properties at night.

My.

In some utilities adds the cost to your bill for the light. It is not free.

IMO it is not the role of utility to be putting up lights in peoples yards. Other customers do not want to help pay for your light.

It is pitch black at my place. I was up the extension ladder yesterday replacing barn light.

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #63  
I understand you guys in Texas, are allowed to shoot them.

KIMG0311.jpg

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #64  

Ahh, is that your daughters?

I am against pink guns for women for 2 reasons. It is a serious thing, if you can't handle a black one, you shouldn't get one cause it matches your purse. It is not a toy. That being said, I know a women, who served in Iraq, who has pink AR-15.
2nd, I think it can be less intimdating if your 38 has pink grips.

I bought J frame 38 with pink grips, it was embarassing, I had to keep telling people it also came with black, at the store. It was an ultra light, and being so, was probably not good for recoil sensitive shooters. So poor marketing IMO.

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #65  
IMO it is not the role of utility to be putting up lights in peoples yards. Other customers do not want to help pay for your light.

I don't think the economics work out like that. The light is generally on your meter/distribution pole, which the power company sets. Adding a light fixture is a trivial addition, and the wiring is simple because it connects to the transformer secondary before the meter. Our power company does charge a monthly rate for the light and maintenance, anthough, like I said, it's an attractive price. I figure the company also benefits during nighttime outages by the linemen being able to see for miles who has power and who doesn't...kind of a win-win

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #66  
   / Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #67  
I don't think the economics work out like that. The light is generally on your meter/distribution pole, which the power company sets. Adding a light fixture is a trivial addition, and the wiring is simple because it connects to the transformer secondary before the meter. Our power company does charge a monthly rate for the light and maintenance, anthough, like I said, it's an attractive price. I figure the company also benefits during nighttime outages by the linemen being able to see for miles who has power and who doesn't...kind of a win-win

It is not a win win. The power company does not rely on street lights to know who has power. They are not driving around looking. Your power is out, it is your problem. In fact, you should call them when it goes out. Small outages that is the only way they know.

As you say the price is attractive, or you would have a contractor do it.

It is not trival for them to install. Sure the time at your house may or may not be. They may working up close to primary to do it, which takes precautions, and slows things down. Gloves, blankets. But it is also the time to drive, get parts, and have someone write it up. PLus it is not like they have so many people they are glad to do this.

Public relations, is most likely why they do it.

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #68  
Some people shoot those darn lights. Most utilities charge monthly or yearly fee for those lights. Kind of like those "free" phones ma bell used to charge you for...

/ Has your electric bill gone down if you have a lot of LED bulbs? #69  
Since we have tractors, maybe you could do must of it yourself, and pay an electrician, if you want a pole. My barn is tall, and mine in on a conduit extended about 5' up 2 out. My neighbor just came off gabel end of house.