Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Guys,

So when I change fuel filters do I have to bleed entire system all the way to the injectors? Or is there a way to bleed just to the pump without having to do injectors too? This would save time plus added engine cranking etc. Reason I ask is that I thought someone mentioned a way to do this making things go faster. Thoughts?

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #2  
I haven't researched the system so bear w/ me..
IF you have a spin on filter, just fill it w/ fuel 1st, hold the throttle OFF IDLE, but not full rpm, & crank the engine.. the air will escape on its own.. works 99% of the time..
IF the engine stops, that means you pumped air into the injectors & lines.. Loosen the fuel inlet line at the inj. pump & crank till you get fuel TO the pump.. THEN loosen ALL the lines AT the injectors or as many as you can reach & crank until fuel squirts out there & retighten..
Theres no short cut on getting air out, other than the 1st suggestion..

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series
No spin ons for the fords but you can bleed air at the top of filter housing via a bleed screw. Maybe just doing that would keep air from getting to the pump but don't know for sure. May have to try it to see. Figured I would post here first vs experimenting just in case someone knew for sure. Thanks

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #4  
Guys,

So when I change fuel filters do I have to bleed entire system all the way to the injectors? Or is there a way to bleed just to the pump without having to do injectors too? This would save time plus added engine cranking etc. Reason I ask is that I thought someone mentioned a way to do this making things go faster. Thoughts?

I have a 4610 Ford and when I change a filter I have had to bleed to the injectors. I start at the filter top and get that bled and then do the injectors, one at a time. I don't believe there is a bleeder on the CAV pump. The engine starts by the time I bleed the second injector. That's been my experience.

Ok mine actually has a bleeder on the pump too. Maybe it's a little different setup. Seems to me I should be able to get air out of the pump then be good to go. But maybe I'm wrong on this.

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #6  
Those ADE engines is a bummer to bleed...filter...inj pump....injectors....in that order....then crank till fuel comes out at the inj lines...tightern....crank till it starts .

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #7  
Ok mine actually has a bleeder on the pump too. Maybe it's a little different setup. Seems to me I should be able to get air out of the pump then be good to go. But maybe I'm wrong on this.

You are correct. There is a bleed screw on the 4610 CAV pump.

So if the bleed out there to that point Will that remove all the air allowing the tractor to start?

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #9  
So if the bleed out there to that point Will that remove all the air allowing the tractor to start?

Yes. Here's my method for filter R&R on a Ford with a CAV pump.

Turn off fuel, change filter.
Open bleeder at filter head, turn on fuel. Close bleeder when fuel stream is free of bubbles.
remove bleed screw at pump. Crank engine with fuel shutoff OFF.
you will get clear fuel, then air, then fuel again.
When a clear stream of fuel hits you right front tire, replace bleed screw and start tractor.

Edit: if it was running when you shut it off, it will start back up every time if this procedure is followed. If you ran it out of fuel, or cranked it over before this method is complete, bleeding the injectors will likely be necessary.

Last edited:
This is awesome. I had an uncle that was telling me this procedure years ago but for the life of me I just could not remember the correct sequence. This is it and thank you very much RickB.