Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #12  
The trick is to crank the engine and pull the shut-off at the same time ?

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #13  
The trick is to crank the engine and pull the shut-off at the same time ?

Pull the shutoff before cranking. Also open the filter bleeder before opening the fuel tap so air is not pushed down the tube from the filter to the injection pump.

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series
Yes. Here's my method for filter R&R on a Ford with a CAV pump.

Turn off fuel, change filter.
Open bleeder at filter head, turn on fuel. Close bleeder when fuel stream is free of bubbles.
remove bleed screw at pump. Crank engine with fuel shutoff OFF.
you will get clear fuel, then air, then fuel again.
When a clear stream of fuel hits you right front tire, replace bleed screw and start tractor.

Edit: if it was running when you shut it off, it will start back up every time if this procedure is followed. If you ran it out of fuel, or cranked it over before this method is complete, bleeding the injectors will likely be necessary.

Hey RickB,

I just tried this and didn稚 do something right apparently. So I think the issue is where you say crank the engine with fuel shut off OFF. To clarify are you saying with knob out to shut off fuel or in to allow fuel to injectors?

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #16  
Hey RickB,

I just tried this and didn稚 do something right apparently. So I think the issue is where you say crank the engine with fuel shut off OFF. To clarify are you saying with knob out to shut off fuel or in to allow fuel to injectors?

Fuel shutoff off. Knob pulled out. Just like when you get done using it and kill the engine.

Yes sir that’s what we did, fuel was coming out and then it stopped, but for the life of us we never got it to come out again. We’re going to try the sequence again and give it another shot, thank you. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just move onto the injectors after I get fuel coming out of the pump.

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #18  
Not saying this works on all engines but it has for the diesels I have had. Not all mine have had spin on fuel filters and I do fill them full first. But take out air filter if you have the second filter you can leave it in, while the engine is being cranked spray shots of WD 40 into the intake. Not steady spray but quick shots rapidly. Yes, WD 40 works great for starting and fuel and will even work with a gas engine. Keep spraying the fuel after it has crank with stopping for a couple of seconds to see if the engine is getting fuel if not just spray a few second longer and again skip maybe a couple of seconds. Took longer to type it then to do it.

Fuel shutoff off. Knob pulled out. Just like when you get done using it and kill the engine.

Ok here is what’s happening. It appears that air keeps getting in between the filters and pump and here’s why. I have bleed the filters twice and there is definitely no air or at least that I can see coming out the bleeder screw. Now to the pump. So I’ve shut off the fuel by pulling out on the fuel shutoff knob. Then open the pump bleeder screw and crank engine. It starts spraying fuel then goes to air showing little if any fuel but never starts spraying again. I have done this sequence 5 times now with same results. So is air getting in around the filters you think? I’ve never had one of my Fords act this way so am totally baffled by this. Thoughts?

/ Question on bleeding fuel system Ford 10 series #20  
I have always had problems bleeding 10 series Fords for some reason.