Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

Well it's not often that I'm disappointed in something about my GC1715 . . . In fact it's only happened a couple times.

But I was cleaning my mmm under-deck and discovered that the underside is just painted and not primered. This is exactly the area that deck rust or get lots of moisture.

Now I might think that possible in a big box $1500 lawn mower with a $400 lawn mower deck. But a $2400 tractor mower deck should be primered so that paint doesn't fall off the very smooth under-surface of the deck underbody. In other words the metal is not showing sandblasting or primer or electroplating . . . Just red paint. And a little rust starting already in less than 2 years of
use Not cool.

AxleHub

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #2  
Everybody goes cheap if they can get away with it. I bought a new Harley Davidson in 2004 and didn't notice that there was no finish of any kind on the aluminum wheels. Took it for one ride with some salt on the roads, before putting it away for the next few months. Washed it that first day and discovered that the aluminum was pitted and wouldn't come clean. The first day I owned it and I know how you feel.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #3  

But I was cleaning my mmm under-deck and discovered that the underside is just painted and not primered. This is exactly the area that deck rust or get lots of moisture.

AxleHub

Yes, but it's also the area that cops all the abuse from stones, sticks and other debris that would chip the paint, if it were painted. I'd also hope that the primer that is applied to the underside inhibits stuff sticking/adhering to the surface = build-up.

The underside of my D110 is a black primer. There's no rust and nothing has built up over the 4 years that I've been abusing the h3ll out of it. [second set of blades too]

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #4  
Cheap paint, with primer under it, is still cheap paint.

They used a direct to metal paint, as most do today. DTM paints can work in this application. But, the metal does need to be prepped properly. That could be the issue too.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else.
Yes, but it's also the area that cops all the abuse from stones, sticks and other debris that would chip the paint, if it were painted. I'd also hope that the primer that is applied to the underside inhibits stuff sticking/adhering to the surface = build-up.

The underside of my D110 is a black primer. There's no rust and nothing has built up over the 4 years that I've been abusing the h3ll out of it. [second set of blades too]

Wagtail - that's my point - the underside of my mower deck has no primer, no roughened surface from sandblasting, no electroplating. Its just red paint and very smooth metal underneath that red paint - nothing else. We're all too familiar with similar prepared lawn mower decks that "rot out" by rust on big box lawn mowers. Now I'm not saying my deck is cheap metal or light metal - it is not - just the opposite the unit is built like a tank - very solid and very ridigly supported. But Massey GC series mmm decks run from $2400 to $2800 depending on 54 inch or 60 inch and ride on/mulcher/standard. I would have fully and completely expected these decks should be sandblasted, primed, and then painted for long term durability - just like the rest of the tractor.

I really like my GC1715 and it saddens me to find something on such a good tractor - that does not show the quality that the deck and tractor have in all other ways.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #6  
1st world problems...lol.

I could see if the deck was not cutting correctly, then that is a problem...but the paint?

If it bugs you repaint it to your standards...done.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #7  
I have a 2326 60-inch drive over deck and I would consider the deck underside a maintenance item like the blades. That surface takes a beating from sticks and stones and rocks and roots and ANY finish would be temporary. When you reach your service interval (or yearly), hoist it with your loader, power wash it, and put a coat of primer (and paint if you wish). Repeat to your liking. I wouldn't even consider it a cosmetic issue since nobody can see the underside of your deck. Be happy with the machinery you have - it serves the intended purpose.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #8  
The is a lot of ag equipment these days in which the paint job is a powder coat finish. Pretty much how this works is you have a couple of guys cleaning parts with a cleaning solution and loading the parts onto a conveyor chain. The parts move on this conveyor chain to a "room" type set up with a couple of guys applying the powder coat finish. The parts continue on the conveyor chain through a oven. I don't know the exact temperature of the oven but it basically bakes the powder coat finish to the metal parts. It is supposed to be a better paint job and a method that is efficient and suitable for mass production. As far as I know there is no primer involved. I used to work in an ag manufacturing plant. I didnt work in the paint department, but that is pretty the theory of modern commercial painting and the way we did it. Hope this explanation helps.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #9  
Wagtail - that's my point - the underside of my mower deck has no primer, no roughened surface from sandblasting, no electroplating. Its just red paint and very smooth metal underneath that red paint - nothing else. We're all too familiar with similar prepared lawn mower decks that "rot out" by rust on big box lawn mowers. Now I'm not saying my deck is cheap metal or light metal - it is not - just the opposite the unit is built like a tank - very solid and very ridigly supported. But Massey GC series mmm decks run from $2400 to $2800 depending on 54 inch or 60 inch and ride on/mulcher/standard. I would have fully and completely expected these decks should be sandblasted, primed, and then painted for long term durability - just like the rest of the tractor.

I really like my GC1715 and it saddens me to find something on such a good tractor - that does not show the quality that the deck and tractor have in all other ways.

Oh... sorry, I misunderstood.

/ Disappointed that my GC 1700 series mmm deck is just paint and nothing else. #10  
The is a lot of ag equipment these days in which the paint job is a powder coat finish.

Perhaps, but I haven't seen a lot of it.

I see a lot of things which people believe is powder coated, that was actually painted.

Not all powder coatings are the same. But, all I have seen are are direct to metal.

While a good powder coat, is more chip resistant than wet applied paint, painting has the advantage for corrosion resistance. Because you can use undercoats, (primers), with paint, you can get a better bond.

If it's sitting outside, and at risk for corrosion, I would use paint.