Really - D U M B - Engine Design !!

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #11  
With most good synthetics and quality filters, 10000-15000 mile intervals are normal.

Going extended changes, especially with any miles on the vehicle.....topping up the oil level is normal.

Save that oil for a mid-change level adjustment.

For some of us oldtimers who remember the days of the thousand mile oil change, and it was a rare engine indeed that made that thousand miles without adding a quart or two, it's hard to adjust to these 10,000 mile oil changes. And we used to check the oil EVERY time we bought gas, and now . . . . Well, my 2017 Escape now has 4,036 miles on it, and I decided I ought to check the oil a couple of days ago. . . still full. MY 2012 Escape now has 87,489 miles on it and been 2,183 miles since its last oil change . . . . still full. And neither one is dripping any oil on the garage floor. Yep, they really are building them better than they used to.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #12  
We are taking a little "road trip" tomorrow. I need to check the oil level. Driving the 1979 Mazda RX-7. That rotary engine is just a variation on a 2 cycle engine. It sips oil from the crankcase by design. Call it a quart every 2000 miles.

But, Something to keep up with between oil changes. ;-)

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #13  
So, My 2016 Honda CR-V finally needed the oil change,,
Whip out the book,, to find the oil type and quantity.

It turns out, the engine requires 4.4 quarts, or 4.6 quarts with a filter.
Price wise, it only makes sense to buy oil in 5 quart containers,,, :confused2:

OK, So, now what am I supposed to do with 0.4 quarts of oil, left over from each oil change?
Oil is not sold in 0.6 quart increments.

Do I throw it away? That seems environmentally unfriendly!! :eek:

Heck, I paid for the oil, why not make the capacity larger (5 quarts) so that the oil at least gets used.

Oh, yea, the 4.4 or 4.6 quarts does not convert to liters,,

Should I just dump the 0.4 quart of extra oil in the engine, and just run the engine with a little extra?

DUMB!! :confused3:
When you get older you will see there are more important things to worry about,like your health.LOL

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !!
What I was shocked about was that this was the first vehicle in over a dozen purchases that does not use 5 quarts of oil.
Honda (4 of them) Chevrolet trucks (5 of them) and 4 Toyota's,, all use 5 quarts.

Drain the old oil, empty the 5 quart container into the engine, dump the old oil in the 5 quart container.
If I save the extra oil, I do not have a disposal container.
If I save the extra oil, I have to make sure I get the identical oil for a dozen oil changes to save up 4.6 quarts.
That is probably a 100,000 miles of driving,,

I have no use for 0W-20 oil, other than this car,, I guess I can lube my S&W revolver?
I would never put 0W-20 oil in a diesel, or an air cooled engine,,.

I guess I am in the oil storing business,, now,,, :confused3:
or,, I can kill the grass around a couple fence posts,,, :D

DUMB!! :confused2:

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !!
When you get older you will see there are more important things to worry about,like your health.LOL

Don't get me started on that,, I found out I have AVN in my right hip,,,
Avascular Necrosis (AVN) - HSS.edu - HSS
can you spell hip replacement!! :thumbdown:

So, I think about both,, :D
I went shopping for a lift chair today,,
There are actually some nice lift chairs,,
It took my mind off of thinking about how I am gonna store oil for a decade to save $20,,,:eek:

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #16  
You do know a diesel will burn the oil right ??? Dump it in the fuel tank , this reminds me of snow birds coming to Beach every winter and trying to return a roll of toilet tissue out of a 4 pack in March when they were headed back north. Simply idiotic

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #17  
I just keep the leftover liter containers for between oil change top ups. We have vehicles with different oil requirements so I label the containers. If I have any leftovers for that vehicle at the next oil change they go in first, making that changes' remainder that much larger. With enough oil changes you end up with a 'free' liter.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #18  
You do know a diesel will burn the oil right ??? Dump it in the fuel tank , this reminds me of snow birds coming to Beach every winter and trying to return a roll of toilet tissue out of a 4 pack in March when they were headed back north. Simply idiotic

Naw, the rolls are perfect for the spin on oil filters!

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #20  
So, My 2016 Honda CR-V finally needed the oil change,,
Whip out the book,, to find the oil type and quantity.

It turns out, the engine requires 4.4 quarts, or 4.6 quarts with a filter.
Price wise, it only makes sense to buy oil in 5 quart containers,,, :confused2:

OK, So, now what am I supposed to do with 0.4 quarts of oil, left over from each oil change?
Oil is not sold in 0.6 quart increments.

Do I throw it away? That seems environmentally unfriendly!! :eek:

Heck, I paid for the oil, why not make the capacity larger (5 quarts) so that the oil at least gets used.

Oh, yea, the 4.4 or 4.6 quarts does not convert to liters,,

Should I just dump the 0.4 quart of extra oil in the engine, and just run the engine with a little extra?

DUMB!! :confused3:

Keep it, keep topping the bottle up from each change, after a few changes you will have a litre.

This is not worth worrying about.

Last edited: