My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
All the corners have been done. Since there is nothing for me to do for at least a week I have been focusing my energy elsewhere. We haven't had a drop of rain in weeks so I will be trucking water up to my trees tomorrow. I figure if I make 4 trips it should provide enough water to sustain the young trees. I have also been working on my shed. There is always something to do.
IMG_7520.JPGIMG_7521.JPG
IMG_7522.JPG

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #32  
I'm not familiar with what you are doing. Is the foundation pier and beam, but raised extra high? Is this for a better view? I also haven't seen the corners done first, but I can see the advantage to it.

Our foundation is radiant heat slab. I cleared the build site and put a bit of a crown on it. My cement guy said no problem and they put in the footings. It works for me because I want water to shed away from it as good as possible. The block guy did the corners first. I am doing the plumbing and letting them handle the cement and block work. I've seen their work at a friends vineyard and it is quite impressive. And I am very pleased to have them working on this project.

IMG_7577.JPGIMG_7578.JPGIMG_7580.JPGIMG_7582.JPG

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #35  
Looks good so far, looking forward to more pictures.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #36  
I needed to re-roof my house a few years ago. I had roofed it myself twice and swore I would not use fiberglass or asphalt again!!!
We wanted a more traditional look than a standing seam roof so I had to hunt around awhile. Finally I found a company that produces a metal shingle that looks like slate. Cost was about $230 a square for the "Enhanced Slate" look, which is multi-toned finish. The biggest advantages was not having to strip the existing asphalt roof and the lighter weight. Not having to lug 80-90# bundles of shingles was real attractive especially with all the roof area. The metal weighted around 35# a box, with 2 boxes per square. It took a little longer to screw in place but not having to strip the roof and worry about being exposed to the weather made up for that. Flashing the dormers, sidewalls, valleys and chimney took a little more thought, where special flashings were required.

All said and done the wife and I are really happy with it!

Here's the link to the website... Steel Roofs | Arrowline Roofing | Steel Shingles | EDCO Metal Roofing

The only pictures i could fine on my laptop of the main house...

View attachment 511929

View attachment 511930

Nice looking roof. Are you installing it with felt paper under each individual row of shingles? It looks that way from the pics. Just curious.

The block work is complete. like the way it turned out. They will be filling the block with cement tomorrow, and setting my j-hooks for the sill plates. My cement guy will be removing some more dirt in part of it (I have already loosened it up with the excavator for him to remove.)Then we start working on the rough plumbing and moving gravel in. When that is complete we do the insulation.

IMG_7634.JPGIMG_7635.JPGIMG_7636.JPGIMG_7637.JPGIMG_7638.JPGIMG_7639.JPGIMG_7640.JPG

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #39  
Good God that's a lot of work. Wouldn't it be easier to make forms and pour concrete for the footer? Why go cinder block?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #40  
There is something beautiful about a perfectly straight line of blocks!!!!

Are you going to build piers too?