Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet?

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #11  
Never had a wax ring fail except after maybe 25 years. Sounds like the rubber ring possibly compensates for improper toilet install.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #14  
I have never tried rubber, wax seems to have always worked for me. Maybe next time I will look at rubber since my floors are pretty solid, not much movement.
Since wax has always worked,may as well try rubber to see if it ruin's the floor.:laughing: Same as most things normally requiring professionals,there's an art to setting toilets and it isn't what you use,it's how you use it. Since the subject has so much interest,I'll offer a tip or two learned the hard way working on cheaply built rental properties. Examine old ring when toilet is pulled,you can learn a lot about best approach for re-setting it(especially if toilet has been leaking at floor). Use globs of old wax to hold bolts up-right at correct locations as a guide for lowering toilet into perfect position on first try. After flange is clean or before putting ring on new toilet,set toilet in place to see if it rocks. If it rocks,have plastic or cedar shims on hand when toilet is finaly set in place. A warm wax stick's to flange better than a cold and stiff wax. A warm wax compresse's better than a cold one. After toilet is lowered onto bolts,place hands square above bolts and press down HARD or ask a chubby gal to sit on it. It's easy to over tighten bolts and pull floor ring up or crack toilet. Tighten only until toilet doesn't move when gently twisted. The handiest tip of all that might save pulling toilet in first place or pulling,reinstalling only to find it still leaks. If water is showing up on floor,dry it up real well,including all sides of toilet bowl and tank. Without flushing,use a small pad of toilet paper to wipe around lever,tank to bowl bolts THEN around toilet at floor. Toilet paper will find slight leaks much better than finger tips. If paper doesn't get wet,flush and wipe again,starting at handle. Next time we meet,we will talk about getting a stronger flush from lazy toilets.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #15  
^^^Thanks Jaxs!

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #16  
Since wax has always worked, may as well try rubber to see if it ruin's the floor.

The wax rings I installed were on previous houses. I have not done a toilet in the current house so I may try rubber next time.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #17  
I have never tried rubber, wax seems to have always worked for me. Maybe next time I will look at rubber since my floors are pretty solid, not much movement.
Since wax has always worked,may as well try rubber to see if it ruin's the floor.:laughing: Same as most things normally requiring professionals,there's an art to setting toilets and it isn't what you use,it's how you use it. Since the subject has so much interest,I'll offer a tip or two learned the hard way working on cheaply built rental properties. Examine old ring when toilet is pulled,you can learn a lot about best approach for re-setting it(especially if toilet has been leaking at floor). Use globs of old wax to hold bolts up-right at correct locations as a guide for lowering toilet into perfect position on first try. After flange is clean or before putting ring on new toilet,set toilet in place to see if it rocks. If it rocks,have plastic or cedar shims on hand when toilet is finaly set in place. A warm wax stick's to flange better than a cold and stiff wax. A warm wax compresse's better than a cold one. After toilet is lowered onto bolts,place hands square above bolts and press down HARD or ask a chubby gal to sit on it. It's easy to over tighten bolts and pull floor ring up or crack toilet. Tighten only until toilet doesn't move when gently twisted. The handiest tip of all that might save pulling toilet in first place or pulling,reinstalling only to find it still leaks. If water is showing up on floor,dry it up real well,including all sides of toilet bowl and tank. Without flushing,use a small pad of toilet paper to wipe around lever,tank to bowl bolts THEN around toilet at floor. Toilet paper will find slight leaks much better than finger tips. If paper doesn't get wet,flush and wipe again,starting at handle. Next time we meet,we will talk about getting a stronger flush from lazy toilets.

First toilet I ever changed out was in 1979. Friend ran a hardware store and sold it to me and described the exact same way of installing as you did. He also threw in a second wax ring because he said 'you only get one chance' with those.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #18  
My toilet on the lower level is on concrete, I tried wax 3 times. 1 normal ring, then 2 rings then 1 jumbo ring, all leaked and I tried a wax less ring, bingo, sealed up and it’s been 2 years now with no leaks.

I normally use wax, it’s cheaper, molds to the toilet and lasts a good long time, rubber is very expensive compared but I thought enough of the job it did on the lower toilet that I bought one for the upper toilet when I remodel that RR. It’s sitting in a closet lol

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #19  
Wax has always worked for me.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #20  
I always use a nut and washer on the bolts to secure it to the flange so bolts don't move while setting toilet. I never used rubber but I did purchase one last time I went to lowes. I'm going to remodel master in a few months and will try it and if I like it probably use them from now on. Having said that there is nothing wrong with the wax ring and if I need one in a pinch and that's all there is I have no problem with it. Still plumbing but different subject the cheap flashing for vent pipes going through the roof, metal with rubber around the pipe. Ten to twelve years in the baking sun and weather their shot. Nothing like the old lead flashing. Lasts forever. Could be the same with rubber toilet flanges. They might only stand up to so much crap.