Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet?

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #21  
I always use a nut and washer on the bolts to secure it to the flange so bolts don't move while setting toilet. I never used rubber but I did purchase one last time I went to lowes. I'm going to remodel master in a few months and will try it and if I like it probably use them from now on. Having said that there is nothing wrong with the wax ring and if I need one in a pinch and that's all there is I have no problem with it. Still plumbing but different subject the cheap flashing for vent pipes going through the roof, metal with rubber around the pipe. Ten to twelve years in the baking sun and weather their shot. Nothing like the old lead flashing. Lasts forever. Could be the same with rubber toilet flanges. They might only stand up to so much crap.
We had a steady rain last night, over 3" by this morning, and now we have a wet bathroom ceiling. I went out to look up at the roof for anything obvious, and you guessed it, I can see a split in the rubber around the vent pipe. Oatey makes replacement collars that slide right on top, with no caulk needed. My house age ... 13 years. I recommend anyone who has a 10 year old rubber seal vent flashing to go buy a $3.00 collar to slide over the pipe now before you have a leak.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #22  
I always use a nut and washer on the bolts to secure it to the flange so bolts don't move while setting toilet. I never used rubber but I did purchase one last time I went to lowes. I'm going to remodel master in a few months and will try it and if I like it probably use them from now on. Having said that there is nothing wrong with the wax ring and if I need one in a pinch and that's all there is I have no problem with it. Still plumbing but different subject the cheap flashing for vent pipes going through the roof, metal with rubber around the pipe. Ten to twelve years in the baking sun and weather their shot. Nothing like the old lead flashing. Lasts forever. Could be the same with rubber toilet flanges. They might only stand up to so much crap.
The nut and washer is actually better than my wax hack,IF THERE"S ENOUGH SPACE. That's something one should take note of when toilet is pulled. You can tell if there's room for a nut and washerl by how much wax sit's between ring and toilet. Too little space can crack bowl or at minium cause it to rock and not seal. A few few wax-nut kits come with thin plastic washers that will hold bolts erect until bowl is in place but they don't work well.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #23  
We had a steady rain last night, over 3" by this morning, and now we have a wet bathroom ceiling. I went out to look up at the roof for anything obvious, and you guessed it, I can see a split in the rubber around the vent pipe. Oatey makes replacement collars that slide right on top, with no caulk needed. My house age ... 13 years. I recommend anyone who has a 10 year old rubber seal vent flashing to go buy a $3.00 collar to slide over the pipe now before you have a leak.

When Harvey came and sat over the top of us for three days or so I had the same problem. And yes did just what you said those oatey collars are a time saver for sure. But when I put a new roof on here it will be lead flashings for sure.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #24  
The nut and washer is actually better than my wax hack,IF THERE"S ENOUGH SPACE. That's something one should take note of when toilet is pulled. You can tell if there's room for a nut and washerl by how much wax sit's between ring and toilet. Too little space can crack bowl or at minium cause it to rock and not seal. A few few wax-nut kits come with thin plastic washers that will hold bolts erect until bowl is in place but they don't work well.

I never seen one I couldn't put a nut and washer on. The holes on the bottom of the bowl have always been big enough that the nuts you use on the flange will not hit the bottom and will go nicely around them. I was a plumber for 11 years on a military installation that had basic training and armor units. I sat at least a thousand commodes and always did it that way. Those GI's either broke them or tried to flush anything and everything down them. Back in the late seventies and early eighties it kept 28 of us busy fixing what they tore up.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #25  
I was a plumber for 11 years on a military installation that had basic training and armor units. I sat at least a thousand commodes and always did it that way. Those GI's either broke them or tried to flush anything and everything down them. Back in the late seventies and early eighties it kept 28 of us busy fixing what they tore up.
That experience should would qulify you to work on and unstop toilets around apartment houses and childcare centers.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #27  
Have always used wax.As long as i didn't mess it up during the installation resulting in immediate failure there were no failures over time. That being said Fluidmaster is a good company. I'd try one of their rubber wax rings without hesitation.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #28  
In light of the fact gap to be filled between toilet and flange varies so widly from one installation to the next,the average homeowner can not choose the correct thickness of rubber(if the store even offer's choices). I've seen wax compressed almost completely out of joint then other joints that required 2 wax rings to seal. Rubber isn't going to work on both plus everything between.

The rubber seals are not a "flat" seal that sets on the floor. They are 2 or 3 rubber flanges on nipple sticking down the drain pipe. variation in the floor have no effect on them

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #29  
i would never ever go back to a wax seal. the top wax and rubber seal at HD are within a dollar of each other, and the rubber can be reused. that alone is worth it, i had to pull a toilet 3 times over a year due to other issues. toilet goes right back on, 0 issue, no drip. i'd never use wax. the toilet i pulled was 50 years old the wax seal let go on it as well.

also u can drop the toilet on sideways (or drop it completely) and not destroy it. toilets are heavy :p