Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet?

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
My anticipated project for the beginning of the week on an existing toilet. Has had wax for 20 or so years and has been replaced a couple times over the years. Pros, cons of each?

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #2  
I have never used a rubber seal but I have never had a wax seal leak.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #3  
I recently purchased a new American Standard toilet and it came with a wax seal.
Like JDguy, I have never used anything but wax and have never had one fail.
A wax seal has the ability to allow for some movement and still not fail.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #4  
I recently purchased a new American Standard toilet and it came with a wax seal.
Like JDguy, I have never used anything but wax and have never had one fail.
A wax seal has the ability to allow for some movement and still not fail.

And so does the "rubber" one plus the waxless rubber one is reuseable. I first used one back in about 1990. pulled toilet once due to a plug-up, put it back and have had no leaks. They are also one whole lot less messy to deal with, no cleanup whant pulling the toilet. I'll never go back to wax.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #5  
I used wax for a long time, even after the rubber ones came out. But, technology keeps advancing in materials and applications. I use rubber now. Like Turnkey says:
They are also one whole lot less messy to deal with, no cleanup whant pulling the toilet. I'll never go back to wax.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #6  
I used wax for a long time, even after the rubber ones came out. But, technology keeps advancing in materials and applications. I use rubber now. Like Turnkey says:

If you have an uneven floor, the wax seals will repeatedly fail, the rubber doughnut style will not.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #7  
In light of the fact gap to be filled between toilet and flange varies so widly from one installation to the next,the average homeowner can not choose the correct thickness of rubber(if the store even offer's choices). I've seen wax compressed almost completely out of joint then other joints that required 2 wax rings to seal. Rubber isn't going to work on both plus everything between.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #8  
I have had several wax rings fail, thinking about using the rubber seal. Need to fix 2 toilets now, the leaks has caused some floor damage.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #9  
I have never tried rubber, wax seems to have always worked for me. Maybe next time I will look at rubber since my floors are pretty solid, not much movement.

/ Wax or Rubber Flange Seal on Toilet? #10  
I saw a "This Old House" episode a while back and they were saying how good the rubber ones were.