Mantis Tiller

/ Mantis Tiller #31  
Our Mantis 2-cycle tiller is one of our favorite tools. Runs great although my wife has difficulty starting it when its cold but does fine once its been run a bit. We do use ethanol-free gasoline and run it dry before storage.

/ Mantis Tiller #32  
I am up to $43 invested in my two Mantis tillers.
The money was spent on the tillers, and one Amazon Carb kit.
the one kit had enough parts to get both tillers running.!! :thumbsup:

I have only used one of the tillers, this one,,,

Mantis3_zpsa5929fc5.jpg

The other was drained of gas, and stored in the shed.

I use the Mantis some,,, but, only when the rows get too narrow for my Gravely tiller.

The Mantis is really hard on the forearms after long periods of use,,,

/ Mantis Tiller #33  
Luv to hear success stories. Glad all worked out for you.

/ Mantis Tiller
My "everyday" tiller is a cast iron Ariens Rocket VII. 70s model. Tecumseh engine. Never liked these motors but this one is a beast. After all these years it still turns over like a new one. In my opinion, this tiller is irreplaceable

/ Mantis Tiller #35  
Sounds like the same machine and age that I have. I recently had to replace the primer bulb. The old one was cracked and leaking air. My first thought on yours was a dirty, partially plugged, fuel filter in the tank. But now it does sound more like a gas cap that isn't venting as it should. Good luck with it.

My Mantis two-stroke tiller is now 4 years old (bought Dec 2013) and finally FIXED!

INTRODUCTION: Two months after purchase, it would start and idle but any attempt at higher throttle running would have the engine just quit. I tried the manual carb setting adjustments, new air filter, even running it out of fuel as the Mantis factory suggests.

Thought about buying another carburetor but I just couldn't believe that after running properly at purchase, with so few hours, the carb would go bad.

January 2017, machine had only about 10 minutes of proper running... at load.

THE FIX:
The fuel filter felt is the problem. Replacing your fuel filter WILL NOT permanently cure the problem. The felt fibers swell and will not pass enough fuel. Turns out, these Mantis fuel filters already contain a fine metal screen filter. It's under the felt.

You can get to the fuel filter through the fuel tank cap. You put a hook on the end of a wire coat hanger and gentle lift the black fuel line up through the fuel opening. No need to take the fuel line off. Notice the felt on your filter is hard as a rock.

You can push the felt out the side with a Philips screwdriver or some other blunt tool. Just throw the felt away and put the fuel filter right back in the tank.

LONG TERM:
I run my Mantis every 4 months for 15 minutes... if I'm not using it as a tiller.
I keep the fuel tank filled full all the time.
I change to all fresh fuel once a year.
Use Yamaha "Fuel-Med RX" fuel stabilizer available from Walmart, Amazon, and most Yamaha motorcycle dealers.

/ Mantis Tiller #36  
For the little I run my Mantis, I just put canned Husqvarna pre mix fuel in it.

That way I don't have to worry about it and it ALWAYS runs when I want it to.

SR

/ Mantis Tiller #37  
THE FIX:
The fuel filter felt is the problem. Replacing your fuel filter WILL NOT permanently cure the problem. The felt fibers swell and will not pass enough fuel. Turns out, these Mantis fuel filters already contain a fine metal screen filter. It's under the felt.

It seemed to me that the filter would get dry and hard and would not let the fuel through. Sounds as if your solution works. My own solution is to ignore the idea of running it out of fuel. I know that has been the right way to handle 2 stroke engines, but now I just leave fuel in it all the time and so far, no problem.

/ Mantis Tiller #38  
For the little I run my Mantis, I just put canned Husqvarna pre mix fuel in it.

That way I don't have to worry about it and it ALWAYS runs when I want it to.

SR
I do the exact same thing now. Was having issues with it running. Bought a carb off of Amazon & it fired right up & ran perfect. $14 on Amazon & the kit comes with 2 extra bulbs, a plug, new fuel & breather lines. Can't go wrong