Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel
With regard to biodiesel fuel for my tractor, Case IH specifies biodiesel blends meeting ASTM 6751 or EN14214 up to B5 (5% blend ratio). I will quote from the Operators Manual:
"Biodiesel Fuel must be purchased from a trusted supplier that understands the product and maintains good fuel quality."
Also:
"Engine performance is affected by the use of Biodiesel Fuel. There may be up to 12 percent reduction in power or torque depending on the blend used.

NOTICE: DO NOT modify the engine and/or injection pump settings to recover reduced performance.
The reduced power must be accepted if using any Biodiesel Fuel.

Some modifications may be required to allow your engine to run Biodiesel Fuel. Consult your dealer for complete information on these modifications.

NOTICE: The use of high Biodiesel Fuel blends are not recommended in cold weather conditions."

I do not use Biodiesel Fuel or plan to use it.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #22  
Best keep a careful eye on the fuel pumps. Might be surprised on the number of ones that sell bio diesel. Personally I am just hoping there labeled correctly and not leaving off the stickers at times.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #23  
I think I am going to puke...........this mess about all the fuel makes me sick to think what might be going into my tractors/vehicles - after going through what we just went through I hope the new place we are getting it is honest and posting labels correctly and not getting fuel that someone is slipping under their noses -

I think I am going to puke...........this mess about all the fuel makes me sick to think what might be going into my tractors/vehicles - after going through what we just went through I hope the new place we are getting it is honest and posting labels correctly and not getting fuel that someone is slipping under their noses -

I feel for you. If you're in Missouri, try contacting the Missouri Department of Agriculture Fuel Quality Program. They may be able to direct you to a supplier that has access to distillate fuel laboratory tests results done at the fuel terminals. There are good suppliers out there who care about fuel quality more than we. Our supplier is Luther P. Miller Inc.: they provide us with the fuel test reports so that we know what we are buying and whether additives are required for the fuel to meet DIN EN590. Until we found them all we could do was guess and worry if were guessing rightly. I hope you get it resolved.

By the way, that Missouri Fuel Quality Program looks pretty good - take advantage. Best luck.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #25  
I've looked into this a lot. The fuel producers (e.g. Gulf Oil) test their products at their terminals. My best advice is try to find a ULSD retailer who can obtain the terminal Distillate Fuel Laboratory Report and the HFRR test result. From this you can determine precisely which additive best and most economically addresses your needs for lubricity, cetane, emulsification/emulsification, pour point, etc. You may find you don't really need an additive.

However, if I had to choose an additive without the benefit of a Distillate Fuel Laboratory Report or HFRR test, I would select Opti-Lube XPD. Based on my research, it's clearly the best ULSD additive for my European diesel engine.

However, one of the biggest reasons I use the additive besides lubricity is that I live in New Hampshire and I don't want my fuel gellin' in the winter so I just add it to every can of fuel after I buy it and I never have to worry about it.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #26  
You didn't read the article on LinkedIn did you? Some references are there. Opti-Lube commissioned and published the 2014 Intertek HFRR test per ASTM D6079. The science appears to support Opti-Lube's nitrogen addition approach and the results of the 2014 Intertek HFRR test. I believe that's how they are able to achieve it - it's remarkable, in my opinion.

If Opti-Lube commissioned and published the "study" then of course it is going to point to a conclusion that their product is better. Reality is that any of the others are at the very least good enough...Power Service, Howes, etc.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #27  
If Opti-Lube commissioned and published the "study" then of course it is going to point to a conclusion that their product is better. Reality is that any of the others are at the very least good enough...Power Service, Howes, etc.

They each conduct what's called "independent studies".

Intertek is an independent testing service that performs fuel lubricity testing per ASTM D6079. The 2014 Intertek HFRR test does not claim Opti-Lube products are "better"; the report of analysis is simply presented. The results happen to be impressive. So what exactly are you claiming? That Opti-Lube and Intertek conspired to run an ASTM standardized test in a way that provided a result better than the actual result? Do you have any proof of that? I'd love to see it!

I accept the 2014 Intertek HFRR test result. I also accept the ASTM D6079 test results run by the terminal that provides fuel to my supplier. I am relying on their representations of their products. What else do I have to go on? Do I just listen to people who say "Throw some Diesel Kleen in there! It's as good as anything."?

As for the others being "at the very least good enough", what is "good enough"? Depending on the lubricity of the base fuel, perhaps they aren't "good enough" to improve lubricity to meet DIN EN 590. When I see ASTM D6079 data from Power Service or Howse, I may conclude that they are "good enough" for my unit. I haven't seen it.

Last edited:
   / Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #30