Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #101  
Well I hope your luck continues, gelled systems in the extreme cold are not fun.
I'll continue to blend and treat my winter fuel as I have fought with it both on and off road.
I also change my fuel filters annually and the ones with drains will get drained periodically.

It might be luck and might be the fuel suppliers. It's just that there are a lot of TBNers and a lot of advice.... some and maybe it varies as much with the location as with anything else. Out here in the West, water and gelling just don't seem to be the problem for us that they apparently have back East.

I do treat winter fuel with a few oz of winterizer per gallon - but don't worry about it. As for water, the few times I've seen in the fuel tank it seemed to come in past the fuel cap. We do pay attention to the fuel cap gaskets and usually throw a tarp over the fuel tanks. Plus we are pretty good about not using the fuel that is on the in the bottom of the tank. Even when filling out of 5 gallon containers we disgard the last cup or so. Maybe not having biodiesel helps too.
rScotty

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #102  
It might be luck and might be the fuel suppliers. It's just that there are a lot of TBNers and a lot of advice.... some and maybe it varies as much with the location as with anything else. Out here in the West, water and gelling just don't seem to be the problem for us that they apparently have back East.

I do treat winter fuel with a few oz of winterizer per gallon - but don't worry about it. As for water, the few times I've seen in the fuel tank it seemed to come in past the fuel cap. We do pay attention to the fuel cap gaskets and usually throw a tarp over the fuel tanks. Plus we are pretty good about not using the fuel that is on the in the bottom of the tank. Even when filling out of 5 gallon containers we disgard the last cup or so. Maybe not having biodiesel helps too.
rScotty

Fuel gelling and water contamination are distinctly different conditions.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #103  
I hear a lot about fuel system water and wax on forums, but have never seen either in our fuel.

A friend bought a nearly-new 2008 F-350 Powerstroke that had apparently sat somewhere for some length of time. Had a heck of a problem with the water sensor falsing. Really nasty on 500 mile road trips because the truck would shut down to try to protect itself. There was no appreciable water in the trap. Many trips back and forth to the dealer before they finally replaced the water trap/filter assembly where the sensor was located. And only then did they find mildew on the sensor. There is something about this assembly that couldn't be cleaned, it had to be replaced. But apparently the rest of the fuel system was clean enough.

Gasoline with ethanol has its share of problems with water. As does diesel.

After a few years my friend traded that truck for a Raptor which served well.