Pole Barn or Metal building?

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #1  

BMan2005

Platinum Member
Tractor
17' New Holland Workmaster 60 & 02' Kubota L3000F
We are getting our land closer to being ready to move onto and build. I want a big Shop/Barn to store our LQ horse trailer with my truck left hooked up, tractor, ranger, and other things needing stored out of the elements. I willl have a lean to built off each side for additional shelter and one side I will build stalls under for our horses. So I am getting into the planning stage of things. This lead me to my question, I need a big shelter without breaking myself but still like durable and long lasting keeping cost down as much as possible. I have stumbled onto these metal barns and was curious if anyone has gotten one and how do you like it? Here is an example of one I looked at for an idea. 36x71 Enclosed Building with Lean-to | 36’ Wide Building

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #2  
Boy these discussions are tough. Soooo many variables and exceptions.

Are you building it? Do you have the equipment to do all the prep work? How bout utilities? Gonna insulate and heat it? Indoor plumbing? Lights? Finished interior walls?

Reason I ask these questions is if you simply want a metal skinned "pop can" to park under it doesn't matter which you choose. Do the one that easily serves your need.

If you intend to build a "modern" building with immenities then the choice becomes more complicated.

So for me, I'd need more information before offering an opinion.

I had a "pole barn" finished. Have an all steel now that's finished. Building a studded building on concrete pad that's finished now. I can offer my opinions in regards to these three varieties if it helps you.

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #3  
My personal preference is a pole building.

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #4  
I have one of the metal buildings similar but smaller than yours. I put it on a gravel floor base and did the land prep myself. I like it and it is very utilitarian and looks good. We致e had some storms come through with 60 mph+ Winds with no issue whatsoever. Needless to say I知 a fan. Do not put any fill in if you have to level a spot. Dig down to the low point.

Here is mine for reference.

Attachments

• 94EBBBDA-FB65-4DC6-9D51-F2E7159409B4.jpeg
    94EBBBDA-FB65-4DC6-9D51-F2E7159409B4.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 469
   / Pole Barn or Metal building?
[QUOTE=ovrszd;5236485]Boy these discussions are tough. Soooo many variables and exceptions.

Are you building it? Not if I bought a metal building. Cost to put it up is much cheaper than a pole barn. . Do you have the equipment to do all the prep work? Yes How bout utilities? Gonna insulate heat it? Not at the moment. Eventually I may add a small insulated workshop inside heat & cooled Indoor plumbing? Most likely no, just a water line or two Lights? Yes. Finished interior walls? No

Reason I ask these questions is if you simply want a metal skinned "pop can" to park under it doesn't matter which you choose. Do the one that easily serves your need.

If you intend to build a "modern" building with immenities then the choice becomes more complicated.

I had a "pole barn" finished. Have an all steel now that's finished. Building a studded building on concrete pad that's finished now. I can offer my opinions in regards to these three varieties if it helps you.[/QUOTE]

My personal preference is a pole building.

Aesthetically I love a pole barn and it would have more of the look to go with our place. Cost to put it up is just steep compared to the metal ones.

I have one of the metal buildings similar but smaller than yours. I put it on a gravel floor base and did the land prep myself. I like it and it is very utilitarian and looks good. We致e had some storms come through with 60 mph+ Winds with no issue whatsoever. Needless to say I知 a fan. Do not put any fill in if you have to level a spot. Dig down to the low point.

Here is mine for reference.

Explain more please

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #6  
Just an example- I had this building put up 3 years ago for $38 K complete , it is 40' X 60' X 14'.
I bought it from a dealer in Jacksonville Fl and it was made in Adel Ga.
One big concern is do you have to permit it? Then costs/options go up.
Pole barns tend to be cheaper.

Attachments

• DSCN0773.JPG
    DSCN0773.JPG
    808.7 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN0752.JPG
    DSCN0752.JPG
    820.3 KB · Views: 473
   / Pole Barn or Metal building? #7  
Do not put any fill in if you have to level a spot. Dig down to the low point.
I disagree. I would always use fill to level to the highest point or even just a bit higher. Compacted, of course. That way there is no issues with rain water running towards any side of the building.

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #8  
Just had a Morton 30x50x16 pole barn constructed ....I did not build it myself. I did look at the metal buildings but just didn't like it. The pole barn cost $43,000...that included a concrete floor but no electric. The metal building was the going to be $41,000. Metal buildings require a much more detailed concrete construction. Are you going to build this yourself ? Are you talking about a metal skin with metal stud like wall framing, or the 'Red Iron' type which uses heavy duty framing with metal purlins ? If you go with a metal skin with metal stud type wall framing then you just need to pour a concrete slab. If it is Red Iron you have to have a engineered concrete slab. IMO a pole barn is more flexible in building what you want on the interior. Plus you don't have to pour a slab until you are ready. All in all don't short change yourself or cut corners with a building that size you are wanting to build. Its not going to be cheap !!!

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #9  
[QUOTE=ovrszd;5236485]Boy these discussions are tough. Soooo many variables and exceptions.

Are you building it? Not if I bought a metal building. Cost to put it up is much cheaper than a pole barn. . Do you have the equipment to do all the prep work? Yes How bout utilities? Gonna insulate heat it? Not at the moment. Eventually I may add a small insulated workshop inside heat & cooled Indoor plumbing? Most likely no, just a water line or two Lights? Yes. Finished interior walls? No

I had a "pole barn" finished. Have an all steel now that's finished. Building a studded building on concrete pad that's finished now. I can offer my opinions in regards to these three varieties if it helps you.

Aesthetically I love a pole barn and it would have more of the look to go with our place. Cost to put it up is just steep compared to the metal ones.

Explain more please[/QUOTE]

My spot was about 20 inches higher on the back left than the front left. To put in the metal building you cannot have more than 6 inches of variation across your 70 foot building. So if you like me have any slope, you have to dig down the high spot and not fill the low spot. You can’t a have it settle down later. I had to dig down starting at the right front across the full width of mine until I was digging down about 20 inches on the right rear. I only made it about 18 inches due to rock, but that got me to within my 6 inch variation.

/ Pole Barn or Metal building? #10  

Explain more please

My spot was about 20 inches higher on the back left than the front left. To put in the metal building you cannot have more than 6 inches of variation across your 70 foot building. So if you like me have any slope, you have to dig down the high spot and not fill the low spot. You can’t a have it settle down later. I had to dig down starting at the right front across the full width of mine until I was digging down about 20 inches on the right rear. I only made it about 18 inches due to rock, but that got me to within my 6 inch variation.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you say do not fill - if it is a pole barn the posts will be down below what you filled and if it is a steel building the concrete columns will be down below the fill level - neither should sink. As someone said - the important thing is drainage.

Having said that I put my steel building 24" into the dirt on one side with a stub concrete wall just so the building did not stick up so high and overpower the house for aesthetic reasons.