Deere 50xxE Series Batteries

/ Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
John Deere 5075E (2012/13-ish)

Does anybody know what brand battery was supplied with these?

I suppose I could turn wrenches to find out, but am wondering if collective wisdom of TBN knows first:

The first three letters on the battery are "IND___" , (I thought maybe "INDIA" seeing how it was made there) but the rest of the letters are covered by the holder and I would of had to walk to other side of property to get wrench last night. Battery case is white. Top is red.

My 5075E has the original battery in it. So it's probably ~6 years old. It says "Maintenance Free", but I wanted to open/unscrew the 6 "covers" to check level and specific gravity, see if it needed to be topped off.

But I can't tell if the covers are real or just aesthetic/fake. They're built into another "cover"/top on the battery, and sit flush with that top. They have a "phillips head" screw head indentation on them (sort of), but my biggest screw driver was 3 times too small. Almost like a special tool might be needed if they really uncrew. That combined with "maintenance free" printed on the battery makes me wonder.

Anybody know what brand battery it is?

Last edited:
   / Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #2  
John Deere battery from the factory TY25272 BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 27,CCA 650 183.22 USD

/ Deere 50xxE Series Batteries
John Deere battery from the factory TY25272 BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 27,CCA 650 183.22 USD

Yeah, that's what John Deere Parts says, but mine is definitely not a dry battery.

/ Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #4  
Yeah, that's what John Deere Parts says, but mine is definitely not a dry battery.

Even the dry batteries are not dry. But... you probably have the wet-charged equivalent.

Part Number: TY25272A
End Price With Core Return: 120.31 USD
Description: Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 27,CCA 650

JD is doing away with the dry-charged batteries. Given they cost a lot more than the equivalent wet-charged I'm not sure why anyone would buy one to begin with.

/ Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #5  
From viewing jgayman's dealer price & my local JD dealer's that just got purchased by a conglomerate with 29 locations I am getting hosed IF I buy parts from them seeing local dealer is $45(FORTY FIVE) higher jgayman's dealer price. I think if JD continues to allow this dealer price gouging then the company is headed in a downward spiral. I also can't understand how JD can advertise the battery as DRY when spec's state "maintenance free". I fully understand what "DRY" should indicate when it's utilized to describe a battery as I filled many batteries with electrolyte when I was employed at JD dealership.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    52.2 KB · Views: 145
   / Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #6  
From viewing jgayman's dealer price & my local JD dealer's that just got purchased by a conglomerate with 29 locations I am getting hosed IF I buy parts from them seeing local dealer is $45(FORTY FIVE) higher jgayman's dealer price. I think if JD continues to allow this dealer price gouging then the company is headed in a downward spiral. I also can't understand how JD can advertise the battery as DRY when spec's state "maintenance free". I fully understand what "DRY" should indicate when it's utilized to describe a battery as I filled many batteries with electrolyte when I was employed at JD dealership.

This is what I found when looking up the difference between wet-charged and dry-charged.

Batteries can be produced as Wet-Charged, such as current automotive batteries are today, or they can be Dry-Charged, such as a motorcycle battery where an electrolyte solution is added when put into service. WET-CHARGED: The lead-acid battery is filled with electrolyte and charged when it is built.

If you walk in to the parts counter and ask for TY25272 they grab a battery, filled it with electrolyte and charge you $183
If you walk in to the parts counter and ask for TY25272A they grab a battery that was filled with electrolyte at the factory and charge you $120

So the only difference being when the electrolyte is added. In the end what is handed over to counter to the customer is still a fluid filled lead-acid battery. So you have to wonder why would they charge so much extra for the one shipped dry? Anytime I have bought a JD battery for my garden tractor or CUT it has always been the wet part number. Like I mentioned earlier, I saw a bulletin somewhere stating that dealers are no longer going to stock the dry-charged batteries. So to me that's a win for customers.

I took a closer look at the battery that came with the tractor last night.

The battery is an "Index", the India version of Exide batteries. (India + Exide = Index?)

I still haven't figured out if the "caps" really unscrew. I need to make a short handled flat screw driver with about a 1" wide bit to see if plugs turn.

/ Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #8  
Dealers can and still do both dry and wet batteries. Not all of Deere's lineup is available in a wet battery just yet. There are pro's and con's, the dry batteries can sit on a shelf for years with no need to rotate the stock. However the filling/activation process is critical to the batteries life and for the avg battery it takes about 2 hours to do properly (fill, charge, fill). Wet batteries are already activated (and activated properly), but can not sit on the shelf indefinitely the dealer must be rotating out old stock to the distributor. Dealers are not getting away from dry because Deere does not have them they are getting away because of the hassle involved as well as the realization that a high amount of warranty claims on dry batteries are primarily due to improper activation. Then there is the hassle of getting rid of the "mostly" empty drums of battery acid, destroyed clothing, and the filling station environment is horribly corrosive to every thing around it so generally needs to be sectioned off from the rest of the parts area as it will destroy parts inventory.

/ Deere 50xxE Series Batteries #9  
jgayman
Thanks for the heads up as I learned something new today about the battery part number with the suffix "A" for wet vs dry battery.
Thanks again,Jim

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.6 KB · Views: 129
I like Interstate batteries, and am looking at replacing the existing battery with a (wet) Interstate MT-27 (BCI Group 27, 1000 CCA, 810 CA) for $140.

Is there anything special about "diesel batteries" , as long as the physical size, terminal locations are comparable to the original and the CCA/CA's are equal or greater?