Security & Theft Tractor Security

/ Tractor Security #1  

GuidoSarducci

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 5660 SUHD
Any ideas to keep ne’er do wells away from machinery and vehicles in an offsite location?

I have an older pickup and a newer tractor that I don’t want folks stealing or taking parts off. It’s in a covered shed but easily accessible from the road.

I was thinking of parking the tractor in a way that would make it impossible to get the truck out but then someone could just boost the tractor and I’m back to square one.

In the not so distant future this isn’t really an issue but right now the neighbors are seeing the town riff raff skulking around.

Low tech is preferable but if I have to go get one of those fancy wireless cameras then so be it.

Thanks in advance!

/ Tractor Security #2  
Out of sight, out of mind.

/ Tractor Security #3  
Low tech will stop or at least slow the opportunity thief or midnight parts entrepreneur to a point. Vandals are in and out, hard to stop by any means short of a vault type enclosure. The dedicated professional thief will get what they want even to disabling alarms and cameras before they start. Flashing lights and loud sirens will stop most actions by drawing the neighbor in and they will skedaddle. Thieves like areas screened and dark so they can work unobserved and take their time. I had two thefts in a year. The sheriff deputy told me to get stuff under bright lights in the open and post signs warning of cameras. Thieves like the low hanging fruit and will pass for the safer from detection target. Traps can get you in jail instead of them. With today's high tech stuff you can get an alarm and video on your smart phone. Out of site out of mind is good philosophy but everybody knows what's in a garage or shed. I have a bag of battery powered tolls that will get me into any thing in less than a minute. Carry good insurance.

Ron

/ Tractor Security #4  
Conceal a tracking device in the tractor wired to 12V. The one below has a motion detector and will send you a message to your phone the moment it detects motion. You can also track it using an app on your phone. Good insurance and if it is stolen just call the cops and give them the coordinate of your stolen tractor.

Spot Trace, Orange, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQ8WW4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_P8v7BbHWTY3C4

Last edited:
   / Tractor Security #5  
Hidden battery disconnect switch will slow causal thieves from starting and driving off.....Not going to stop them from removing stuff though....

Buyers Products Locking Battery Disconnect Switch at Tractor Supply Co.

Less expensive...

Pollak 51-92 51-32 Battery Master Disconnect Kill Switch 18 Amps ON OFF a | eBay

IF off site is permanent location maybe shipping container with shielded lock that can only be accessed by having key and have to reach up into a steel sleeve that protects lock... Containers are pretty much like a VAULT for storage....

Not going to stop dedicated thief, but you can make them work really hard on taking stuff maybe to a point they will give up...

Dale

/ Tractor Security #6  
Low tech is preferable

On some older machines, low tech is easy if you can find something easy to remove and re-install, like a coil wire. I used to do kill switches long before they were common. When electric fuel pumps were easy to get to, you could simply cut the wire and put in a hidden switch. We'd do it so the switch didn't look like a switch ... maybe a 1/4" headphone jack and plug. Insert the plug to complete the connection, remove it and take it with you to disable the vehicle.

/ Tractor Security #7  
Depending on the machine, engage the PTO lever. It's not obvious unless you know that it engages a safety switch. I've gotten myself with that pretty bad a few times & I know better. Wont help against vandalism though.

/ Tractor Security #8  
^^ For that matter, one could wire a switch to the seat switch (if the machine has one) to keep the machine from seeing it activated.

/ Tractor Security #9  
Conceal a tracking device in the tractor wired to 12V. The one below has a motion detector and will send you a message to your phone the moment it detects motion. You can also track it using an app on your phone. Good insurance and if it is stolen just call the cops and give them the coordinate of your stolen tractor.

Spot Trace, Orange, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQ8WW4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_P8v7BbHWTY3C4

That is one of he things I mentioned in my post. Probably one of the best things to do for the stolen "horse". Just don't lave the barn door open to make it easier.

Ron

/ Tractor Security #10  
I put a valve in the fuel line that is way back under, very hard to detect. Turn off and run down the fuel in lines, they are going nowhere under power. Kubota switches are all the same and anyone can buy one, they are no help.

Ron