Amazed !

/ Amazed ! #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
After visiting my son in Arkansas and seeing all the farming that goes on there, I'm amazed at the size and brand of the tractors those farmers use .

You don't see any Kubota's, Kioti's, Ls's, TYM's, Yanmar's, etc, plowing the fields.
Guess they just don't build a tractor big enough, or tough enough for the job.

All you see there are Big JD's, Case, Some JD's with Tracks, and some New Holland's

/ Amazed ! #2  
After visiting my son in Arkansas and seeing all the farming that goes on there, I'm amazed at the size and brand of the tractors those farmers use .

You don't see any Kubota's, Kioti's, Ls's, TYM's, Yanmar's, etc, plowing the fields.

All you see there are Big JD's, Case, Some JD's with Tracks, and some New Holland's

Same here, the other brands do build some decent size tractors but you don't see them working around here either. Farms I see around here run big Deere's and some NH, up in the potato belt they run a lot of old IH..

/ Amazed ! #3  
A lot of that is the scale of their operations. We have a couple that use Case QuadraTracks and other large equipment. There is at least one that runs multiple large JD combines side by side. They have their own fleet of grain trucks and refueling tankers. Some of their trucks are set up with platforms for their crop spray helicopters to land and reload spray tanks.

JD and Case Ag handle the leased machines; the farmers don't own much of anything.

I don't know if Big Orange finances on that level or not, but I know most of the others you mentioned don't.

/ Amazed !
A lot of that is the scale of their operations. We have a couple that use Case QuadraTracks
I don't know if Big Orange finances on that level or not, but I know most of the others you mentioned don't.

Do you live in area too ?

They run allot of those quads case and JD. in Arkansas
Never seen a quad orange tractor
Never seen a orange combine either

/ Amazed ! #5  

Same here.

/ Amazed ! #6  
Jd , Ferguson and case/NH build tractors big enough for large scale farmers. All the others build for home owners and hobby guys.

/ Amazed ! #7  
This kind of came up in another thread.

Yanmar's biggest machine sold in the US is 59 HP/4442 lbs. Not near big enough to be a working farm's "big" tractor.(I am, of course, generalizing. I'm sure someone, somewhere, is "farming" 800 acres with one)

LS offers 100 HP/7,714 lbs. It would be...difficult to run a dairy/cattle operation with such a light tractor. Maybe if you lived on dead flat ground.

TYM's biggest machine is 105 HP/8666 lbs. Not big enough for a lot of tillage. You could maybe run a smaller dairy/cattle operation with it.

Kioti offers 110HP/9064 lbs. Like the TYM you could maybe have it as your "big" tractor on a smaller dairy/cattle farm, where row crop acres are minimal and you're primarily doing hay and pasture maintenance.

Kubota's biggest tractor available in the US is the M7-171. It's a medium sized tillage machine. It "only" weighs 15,000 lbs. You could run a modest sized, 500ish tillable acre farm with it before things got out of hand.

Case Magnums, JD 8Rs, Fendt Varios, challengers, etc all push well past 200HP/20,000 lbs. And Quadtracks, JD 9Rs, Versatiles, etc are on another tier beyond that. A 9620R weighs 43,000 lbs minimum, has 620HP, and could pick the M7 kubota up with its 3pt. Weight is work done when it comes to tillage.

Most of us are older boys playing with toys while the real giants are plowing hundreds or thousands of acres a year.

/ Amazed ! #8  

What you see is the difference between suburbanites (hobby farmers) and real farmers (people who farm for a living).

/ Amazed ! #9  
The neighbor's new big deere doesn't even sound like a tractor. It sounds like a jet engine...that whistle sound. You hardly ever see smoke out of the stack either.

/ Amazed ! #10  
What you see is the difference between suburbanites (hobby farmers) and real farmers (people who farm for a living).

I grew up working on farms. Could it be that you are seeing is the difference between a farmer's crop farming tractors and his chore tractors?

People who farm for a living usually have both types today, but that wasn't the case 50 years ago. Back then, 100 hp and 10,000 lbs was a tillage machine. Everything is bigger now.
Today, 70 to 90HP and 10,000 lbs is plenty big enough for the largest chore tractor with a front loader that can handle about half the machine's weight in the bucket.

And today's tillage machines for field crops are way different. Huge machines. Crazy big.... A suburban farmer wouldn't have a use for one of those. He might not even recognize it as a tractor. It doesn't even look like a chore tractor grown up....it's a whole different animal. But a chore tractor at least has some sort of smaller 3pt and will work a pretty good size garden or orchard.

I hope the future is more a return to small family farms instead of corporates.
rScotty

Last edited: