Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #101  
I am using my snowblower for the 2nd season on my .8KM road with steep hills at both ends, so here are some of my tips;

1) Check your rear tire pressure, mine should be 14 psi. They looked OK until I raised the snowblower (600Lbs) & I saw the left tire bulging out.
Of course the liquid valve was screwed up so luckily I had a spare & got it pumped up OK. Always have the valve at the top when checking or
you might have liquid calcium all over the place (done that).

2) Have plenty of spare shear bolts & make sure they are the correct grade. The ones I found at Home Depot were too hard so I had to
special order mine from a fastener supply store.

3) Load plenty of fuel in your tractor as it will burn way more fuel per hour snow blowing compared to just driving around, yes I ran out last year.

4) Make sure the max height (for rear PTO) stopper is set properly, I missed this once. I must have pulled the UP lever while the tractor
was idling & looked back later & it was WAY too high!

5) Keep the snowblower level or slightly tipped back otherwise it can "dig in" and start throwing rocks & dirt.

6) Already mentioned but consider marking your road edges, I have found myself way off to the side of my road & was blowing long grass &
rocks.

7) I have a 1000 lb rated floor dolley that I lower my blower onto, makes it real easy to install/remove & I can roll it into my garage for summer
storage.

8) If your tractor has it use the multiple PTO speed selector, in FWD Low I use the PTO 1 setting, in FWD High I use the PTO 2 setting because the
the tractor RPM is much lower.

9) Get some kind of anti-stick spray. My discharge chute does plug up in some conditions, usually when I stop plowing even for a few seconds.
I am going to try "Dupont Snow & Ice Repellent with Teflon" next time. I could not find anything like this in the small town where my property is
located but I see Canadian Tire carries it locally.

10) Don't plow your road just wide enough for your vehicle too fit, in icy conditions you need the extra room or you could end up with some body
damage!

11) I use my rear blade at the start of the season thinking it will push any loose rocks off to the side, I go extra wide & avoid snow blowing those piles
created because that's where the rocks probably are.

=======================================================================================================================

Please don't buy the dupont stuff!!! It is beyond nasty with all the toxic chemicals they use.

If you can purchase "Fluid Film in the aerosol can that will work very well for you.

You can find Fluid Film at W.W.Grainger, NAPA, John Deere, Menards, Car Quest, Advance Auto Parts and Lowes.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #103  
Those who have a cabbed tractor and a front mounted blower will never know the true joy of blowing snow.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #104  
Hey, Leonz, thanks for the heads up! I WAS going to head out to Canadian Tire to get some of the Dupont stuff, but now I won稚.

================================================================================================

Hello check,

I looked at a can of snow go a few weeks ago and I just cringed reading the ingredients and I said I cannot let my friends use this stuff.
I am glad you changed your mind, your lungs will thank you for it.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #105  
Those who have a cabbed tractor and a front mounted blower will never know the true joy of blowing snow.

Here here! IMG_0747.JPG

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #106  
Good Lord, check. Your cup runneth over. That condition is almost BEYOND joy. THAT one picture makes my neck & shoulders ache - like in the good 'ol days. There is no question about your need for a blower. I'd have to be able to go at warp speed to get my rear blade to curl the snow over that berm.

The nice thing about an open station and 3-point blower. You can again experience a snow storm - long after Mother Natures has gone - ha, ha, ha.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #107  

Attach a piece of Plexiglass to your roll bar with four u-bolts and it will help to block the snow blowing back on you. Before I had a cab tractor that is what I did with my open station and it made a big difference in the comfort of the job.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #108  
Attach a piece of Plexiglass to your roll bar with four u-bolts and it will help to block the snow blowing back on you. Before I had a cab tractor that is what I did with my open station and it made a big difference in the comfort of the job.
Doing that and adding a canopy would probably eliminate 70% of the snow blowing back on you.
If you got a big enough piece of plexiglass that you could bend a couple feet of the sides to a 90 making a U shape, that would probably get rid of almost all of the snow coming back on to you from the snowblower.

Aaron Z

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #109  
Doing that and adding a canopy would probably eliminate 70% of the snow blowing back on you.
If you got a big enough piece of plexiglass that you could bend a couple feet of the sides to a 90 making a U shape, that would probably get rid of almost all of the snow coming back on to you from the snowblower.

Aaron Z

Mine extended out about 6 inches each side of the roll bar. It alone blocked more than 70% of the blow back, and very little snow stuck to it. It was some of the best money I spent on the tractor, and my only regret was not doing it sooner. As you suggest, if it was heated and curved back you could likely have it blocking more. I never had a canopy on mine, and not sure if it would make much difference when blowing snow.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #110  

You mean like right across from one side to the other? I would have to cut a hole to access the chute crank.