stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #31  
I've never had a problem with the flip caps on my saws and trimmers, and like them better than the old style. I've never had a fuel spray problem, but there's no denying the possibility after watching that video of the tree trimmer. It could be a combination of shaking the equipment with a partially filled tank and then opening it. I don't think I've ever opened mine in that situation, but I can understand the circumstances when that can happen.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #32  
But do they prevent pressure build up for the Forrest Service?

Not a clue. Dont have to deal with that type of stuff out this way. GL.

I even have read they try and stir away from the m-tronic and autotune saws in that environment out there. Reason for stihl offering regular carb versions to the fire fighting folks?

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #33  
I dig through my Tool Box every time and find the biggest screwdriver I can find to deal with those stripped out Stihl caps! And then make sure not to overtighten them. But also, hate a ruined pair of jeans from the oil running down my leg!

I have been running chainsaws since 1979, from small to large, all the major brands cut up to 20 cord/yr. Stable is now all Stihl. As for using a wrench or screwdriver to tighten a cap? Why? I have never had to do that, never had one leak. Even saws where the previous owner had tightened with a tool (obvious on the lid marks) I didn't need to. IMO anyone using a tool to tighten one is abusing the equipment.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #34  
Gee. The good of the screw caps was they would gradually let the pressure out, with no fuel geyser. The 1/4 turns have no way to dump any pressure slowly out.

Yes they do, just read the manual...although if it takes 6 pages in the manual to tell one how to remove/reinstall, they should have re-thought their brilliant idea. The diffence is that the screw cap does it automatically. The operator of the flip top has to remember not to turn it quickly.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #35  
Only issue with my Stihl caps is me being stupid and not seating them properly and when I tilt up saw or weed wacker I get a "leak"....

Did get screw cap/ tank replace on FS 90 weed wacker due to recall though...

Dale

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #36  
Only issue with my Stihl caps is me being stupid and not seating them properly and when I tilt up saw or weed wacker I get a "leak"....

Did get screw cap/ tank replace on FS 90 weed wacker due to recall though...

Dale

ditto - never had one spew out anything - its empty when i open the cap - chainsaw and weed eater had them for many years - i hope this doesnt turn into a new better mousetrap/gas can spout mandated by the Gov't that entire transition is still a jacked up mess and i still cant find one that works well good lord

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #37  
Oh they messed it up on the boats too. Started around 2010-2012. I just bought a new epa approved tank and non vented cap set for my boat. Tank is great, the cap suks and creates all kinds of new problems.

I found a older style vented cap new that fit and all my new problems went away.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #38  
ditto - never had one spew out anything - its empty when i open the cap - chainsaw and weed eater had them for many years - i hope this doesnt turn into a new better mousetrap/gas can spout mandated by the Gov't that entire transition is still a jacked up mess and i still cant find one that works well good lord

I gave up on the plastic gas cans and bought three justrite steel cans. Two 5's and a 2 gallon. I've had them for years and they don't leak and no mess unless I over fill the lawn mower. The jerry cans are also a good option

They may cost more but they last forever and eliminate a lot of hassle

71rwYp+jQuL._SX425_.jpg

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #39  
I have a Stihl weed eater and two Stihl chain saws. None are on that recall list. One time I didn't get the cap back correctly on the chain saw. It was immediately obvious when I turned the saw upright.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy
We gave up on most plastic cans and use "Justrite" ones in the 5 gallon version. They are great!

I gave up on the plastic gas cans and bought three justrite steel cans. Two 5's and a 2 gallon. I've had them for years and they don't leak and no mess unless I over fill the lawn mower. The jerry cans are also a good option.
They may cost more but they last forever and eliminate a lot of hassle

View attachment 612491