stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
I've never had a problem with the flip caps on my saws and trimmers, and like them better than the old style. I've never had a fuel spray problem, but there's no denying the possibility after watching that video of the tree trimmer. It could be a combination of shaking the equipment with a partially filled tank and then opening it. I don't think I've ever opened mine in that situation, but I can understand the circumstances when that can happen.

xyz123

Veteran Member
Tractor
none again
But do they prevent pressure build up for the Forrest Service?

Not a clue. Dont have to deal with that type of stuff out this way. GL.

I even have read they try and stir away from the m-tronic and autotune saws in that environment out there. Reason for stihl offering regular carb versions to the fire fighting folks?

turnkey4099

Elite Member
I dig through my Tool Box every time and find the biggest screwdriver I can find to deal with those stripped out Stihl caps! And then make sure not to overtighten them. But also, hate a ruined pair of jeans from the oil running down my leg!

I have been running chainsaws since 1979, from small to large, all the major brands cut up to 20 cord/yr. Stable is now all Stihl. As for using a wrench or screwdriver to tighten a cap? Why? I have never had to do that, never had one leak. Even saws where the previous owner had tightened with a tool (obvious on the lid marks) I didn't need to. IMO anyone using a tool to tighten one is abusing the equipment.

turnkey4099

Elite Member
Gee. The good of the screw caps was they would gradually let the pressure out, with no fuel geyser. The 1/4 turns have no way to dump any pressure slowly out.

Yes they do, just read the manual...although if it takes 6 pages in the manual to tell one how to remove/reinstall, they should have re-thought their brilliant idea. The diffence is that the screw cap does it automatically. The operator of the flip top has to remember not to turn it quickly.

DL Meisen

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Only issue with my Stihl caps is me being stupid and not seating them properly and when I tilt up saw or weed wacker I get a "leak"....

Did get screw cap/ tank replace on FS 90 weed wacker due to recall though...

Dale

searcyfarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmall 560D - 706D German w/Cab - Volvo MC110 - 1944JD A - Deere 2038R - IH 5088
Only issue with my Stihl caps is me being stupid and not seating them properly and when I tilt up saw or weed wacker I get a "leak"....

Did get screw cap/ tank replace on FS 90 weed wacker due to recall though...

Dale

ditto - never had one spew out anything - its empty when i open the cap - chainsaw and weed eater had them for many years - i hope this doesnt turn into a new better mousetrap/gas can spout mandated by the Gov't that entire transition is still a jacked up mess and i still cant find one that works well good lord

xyz123

Veteran Member
Tractor
none again
Oh they messed it up on the boats too. Started around 2010-2012. I just bought a new epa approved tank and non vented cap set for my boat. Tank is great, the cap suks and creates all kinds of new problems.

I found a older style vented cap new that fit and all my new problems went away.

Motorboatin

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1750M
ditto - never had one spew out anything - its empty when i open the cap - chainsaw and weed eater had them for many years - i hope this doesnt turn into a new better mousetrap/gas can spout mandated by the Gov't that entire transition is still a jacked up mess and i still cant find one that works well good lord

I gave up on the plastic gas cans and bought three justrite steel cans. Two 5's and a 2 gallon. I've had them for years and they don't leak and no mess unless I over fill the lawn mower. The jerry cans are also a good option

They may cost more but they last forever and eliminate a lot of hassle

71rwYp+jQuL._SX425_.jpg

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I have a Stihl weed eater and two Stihl chain saws. None are on that recall list. One time I didn't get the cap back correctly on the chain saw. It was immediately obvious when I turned the saw upright.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
We gave up on most plastic cans and use "Justrite" ones in the 5 gallon version. They are great!

I gave up on the plastic gas cans and bought three justrite steel cans. Two 5's and a 2 gallon. I've had them for years and they don't leak and no mess unless I over fill the lawn mower. The jerry cans are also a good option.
They may cost more but they last forever and eliminate a lot of hassle

View attachment 612491