Ford 7.3L Gas Engine

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #41  
Who would have thought 20 years ago that gas truck engines would be considered simpler than diesel?

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #42  
Who would have thought 20 years ago that gas truck engines would be considered simpler than diesel?

Yes, this engine has no turbo/SC, diesel emissions equipment. It is a cam in block design that uses port injection. It then should not need the high $ pump that direct injection needs.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #43  
I look forward to buying a used F550 with one of these in it, in about 10-12 years. Or maybe even an F600.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #44  
Yes, this engine has no turbo/SC, diesel emissions equipment. It is a cam in block design that uses port injection. It then should not need the high $ pump that direct injection needs.

Capable engine, with potentially minimal downtime and expense...... Why would anybody want that ?

:D

Rgds, D.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #45  
Maybe in a 250. I知 guessing the medium duty truck is closer to 5 mpg loaded. I壇 be surprised of it got 10 towing a big load in any truck.

I have the V10 engine in my 38 foot RV and it gets average of 8 MPG in hill country. I have no idea what it would get in flat highway since we dont have any flat land around here and everywhere I have been in it is either hilly or mountainous.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #46  
Capable engine, with potentially minimal downtime and expense...... Why would anybody want that ?

:D

Rgds, D.

HA!!!

Way, way a long time ago I worked as a medium duty truck mechanic at a GM dealer. Most of the trucks ran the 366ci big block at that time. Pretty basic and low power compared to the present but hey, they did OK with what they had.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #47  
HA!!!

Way, way a long time ago I worked as a medium duty truck mechanic at a GM dealer. Most of the trucks ran the 366ci big block at that time. Pretty basic and low power compared to the present but hey, they did OK with what they had.

Thoreau would think we're all nuts, but the longer I live, the more I see his point..... simpler is better......

My neighbour currently has a post-emission Sprinter - great when it's running, expensive to repair when not. He's come to view the 6.0L GM gas engine in his old cube van a bit differently as of late. One of the last Sprinter bills was $7k Canadian; even that 6.0L would have taken a while to chew up that much in gasoline.

That 6.0L still ran fine when he sold it. Other than regular basic maintenance, the only things he put into it were a couple of ignition coils. Not bad for 600k km.

Not trying to drift a Ford thread :peace: :) , just another example of why simple(r) can matter. I welcome the availablity of this new Ford engine, and will be following it closely.

Rgds, D.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #48  
HA!!!

Those old 366 gas burners don’t do that bad of a job. And they’re tough. I don’t think the Cat 3116 diesels pulled any better or got much better mileage.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #49  
Meh. Happy to see some big cube gassers come back, but I will keep my Cummins. 20mpg+ empty, 13.5mpg with a 10k lb load. Hard to beat that and reliable to boot.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #50  
I don't know why people make a big deal about the plug spitting problem I have 2 v 10s and have only lost 2 plugs at a cost of 75$ a piece to replace.
I guess when you start out with ten, two is a pretty low percentage compared to starting out with four!

SR