welding after cataract surgery

/ welding after cataract surgery #1  

johndeerefarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 6105R, Deere 620, Deere 340G, Deere 329D
Hi, I had cataract surgery on both eyes at 56 years of age. I blame this on using Flonase for 20 years BTW!
Before surgery my distance vision was sorry and close up was fair. I could see to weld without issue.
The lens that were implanted gave me great distance vision in both eyes. Intermediate vision is good but close up vision stinks unless I am in bright light. I use a 1.5X to 1.75X to read in low light conditions
I have a Digital Elite helmet. I mounted a 3 LED headlamp on the helmet, which might help a little. If I am welding thin metal, 1/8" or so the view is so blurry I can't see what I am doing. I am nearly welding "blind".
Once I turn up the amperage to weld thicker metals, the arc is brighter and I can see perfectly and my welds are great.
I have tried using some bright lights over the welding table which helps a little. I also use 2X reading glasses under my helmet.

Has anyone had this issue? What did you do about it?
Thanks

/ welding after cataract surgery #2  
Don't feel too bad, I had cataract surgery at about the same age and never took Flonase a day in my life. I attribute it to working outdoors for 25 years. Anyway, You're doing about the same thing I do, put as much light on as I can. Have you tried readers up or down 1/2 or 1/4 diopter? I like the cheater lens that mounts in the hood.

/ welding after cataract surgery #3  
Cataract surgery did not change my welding except I could see the puddle clearer. I use a digital usually set on #10 and wear my 2.0 cheater. Overall my vision went to 20-20 from a lot worse. Bet thing I did. Dr said welding did not cause the cataracts, it is old age and stiffening of the lens.

Ron

/ welding after cataract surgery #4  
My opthamologist can send my prescription to Sweden where they make 'glasses' that are actually ground glass, not pressed plastic. As I recall they are Ray-Bans (Maybe same as normal sunglasses brand). Takes a month to get them. Tall frame with wide lenses.

/ welding after cataract surgery #5  
Another thing to consider is your welding hood. The new technology out there removes the Green tint to your lens while welding. This makes it look like the lens never changed to dark. A friend gave me a hood from Weldcote Metals called a Kleer-View Plus True-Color. When I strike the arc there is no color. Kleer-View. Not only inexpensive but has a 3 year warranty. Try one out at your LWS I was pleasantly surprised. Good Luck !!

/ welding after cataract surgery #6  
Another thing to consider is your welding hood. The new technology out there removes the Green tint to your lens while welding. This makes it look like the lens never changed to dark. A friend gave me a hood from Weldcote Metals called a Kleer-View Plus True-Color. When I strike the arc there is no color. Kleer-View. Not only inexpensive but has a 3 year warranty. Try one out at your LWS I was pleasantly surprised. Good Luck !!
And I assume it accepts the 'cheater' lenses?

/ welding after cataract surgery #7  
I had cataract surgery 4 years ago, and took the far vision option.... At computer I and general reading I use 2.5 diopter cheaters.... For welding I managed to insert a 2 and a 1 diopter cheater lens in behind standard AD lenses, I know its a lot, but I get better vision to see what arc is actually doing as it it washes over gap/puddle I am trying to weld.....Another thing that helps immensely is to put a lot of light on area where weld will be done, a good light source would be good quartz work lamp... Also playing with "headlamp" on helmet because a slight tilt of head puts a lot of light where I want it....

WELDHEMETWITHLIGHT.jpg

Fount htis example on I-net and I have dome something similar with small LED flashlight and duct tape till I find headlamp I am happy with to mount permanent...

Dale

/ welding after cataract surgery #8  
Dale where did you find that light? Internet address?
My macular degeneration is killing my welding skills among other things and i’m Needing lost more light to see things these days.

B. John

/ welding after cataract surgery
I mounted a 3 LED head lamp on my helmet and it helps some but still blurry. I will look into the Weldcote Metals helmet.

Thanks for the replies.

/ welding after cataract surgery #10  
Dale where did you find that light? Internet address?
My macular degeneration is killing my welding skills among other things and i’m Needing lost more light to see things these days.

B. John

Actually I have not found it yet... Pic is snatch from Google Images.... But just about any miner or cave explorer light may work.... Try to find one that is for mounting on bump/hard hat, If you find really cool on the has cool adjustments and mount I would really like to know....

Dale