new ranger review?

/ new ranger review?
We modestly worried about these eco-boost engines as well but Ford has been producing them for quite a few years now (in other engines) and owners speak very highly of them. My spouse was still worried so we got the extended warranty. We tend to not get the 1st models off the line but Ford had been producing similar Rangers around the world so they never really went out of production.

I test drove one and was close but it has some odd ergo issues (I'm 6'5") and the price was about what the Tundra TRD was that I finally got. The reliability risk for the cost was the biggest deal breaker. The interior was very nice, the size was really what I wanted (I don't fit in a Tacoma at all), the transmission was very nice on the Ranger too and the motor felt plenty powerful as a result of the trans.

I couldn't gamble on the reliability right now, but I hope they prove out well, I think Ford did a good job on them. If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.

/ new ranger review? #32  
I test drove one and was close but it has some odd ergo issues (I'm 6'5") and the price was about what the Tundra TRD was that I finally got. The reliability risk for the cost was the biggest deal breaker. The interior was very nice, the size was really what I wanted (I don't fit in a Tacoma at all), the transmission was very nice on the Ranger too and the motor felt plenty powerful as a result of the trans.

I couldn't gamble on the reliability right now, but I hope they prove out well, I think Ford did a good job on them. If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.
It's the frame more than the body which I worry about... although my 2015 Silverado has rust showing through the cab corners.
My 2004 came from Brunswick, down on the coast; I bought it 4 years ago. Although the frame was sprayed when it was new, the first winter I ran it a layer of steel flaked off, taking the undercoating with it. I parked it after deer season for the last 3 winters, except that they were salting the roads last November and it really did a number on my frame and exhaust system.

/ new ranger review? #33  
Look forward to further reports. Our 1994 Ranger (voted MT truck of the year) was the worst of 4 pickups we've had, e.g. basically a Pinto engine with a wasted suspension because it rode like it had none. Mucho expense for tuneup. Really awful fuel mileage and actually worse on highway that to/from work.

Our 4th pickup, a 2005 Taco with 4 cylinder 5M, does not have much grunt. Basically a very good appliance. Toyota is good at making appliance vehicles that don't require much to keep them going but are rather unexciting to drive.

Ralph

/ new ranger review? #34  
If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.

How do the aluminum bodies stand up to salt? I know it doesn't rust per se, but the salt still corrodes it. Better or worse than steel?

I'm not really a big Ford guy, but I might consider one of the new Rangers down the road when my Dakota gives it up. The old ones seemed to stand up pretty well...them and Dakotas are about the only old less-than-full-size trucks you still see in any number.

/ new ranger review? #35  
It's the frame more than the body which I worry about... although my 2015 Silverado has rust showing through the cab corners.
My 2004 came from Brunswick, down on the coast; I bought it 4 years ago. Although the frame was sprayed when it was new, the first winter I ran it a layer of steel flaked off, taking the undercoating with it. I parked it after deer season for the last 3 winters, except that they were salting the roads last November and it really did a number on my frame and exhaust system.

A 2015 with rust perforation already and a layer of steel flaking off the frame after one winter? Plus you park it all winter? That is insane. I wouldn't expect your winters and roads in Maine to be that different from here in Nova Scotia, but my 2011 F250 is still mostly rust free. I undercoat it every fall, but other than that it runs pretty much every day year round. I have to wonder if there was something wrong with the manufacturing of that vehicle because that is pretty extreme failure in a very short period of time.

/ new ranger review? #36  
I own a 2017 F150 aluminum body. I follow a Ford truck forum and so far I haven't heard of any problems with the aluminum body panels. The only problem is they often tear instead of dent in an accident. I traded in a 2011 Chevy that was just starting to blow out over the rear wheels from rust. I was really disappointed since it was only about 5 or 6 years old and only had 50,000 miles on it. That's why I went Ford, for the aluminum body panels.

/ new ranger review? #37  
I have always been a chevy pickup fan. I own 2 now. A 2009 and a 1970.

I have been amazed with the ones I've seen the last few years that I assume are from up north. Seen alot of late model chevys and dodges driving around with rotten tailgates and rear wheel arches.

I'm just glad we dont have that problem around here!

/ new ranger review?
Back to the new ranger topic. We're getting to like this machine more and more each day. It drives more like a sports car, than the Taco we traded in for it. Its steering and road handling. I filled it up today and will track its mileage for you folks. This is really been a step up for us.

/ new ranger review? #39  
Are you driving it like a sports car? :D
That might skew your MPGs for a few tanks until you get that fun worked out of your system.

/ new ranger review?
Just comparing its ride to the Taco, it much more like a car, than the truck its expected to be. It is indeed fun..

Are you driving it like a sports car? :D
That might skew your MPGs for a few tanks until you get that fun worked out of your system.