Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors
Thank you countrybumpkin.

If it's been good to you over 40 years of use, it must be fine to use.

Thanks again.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #12  
Brake clean wont hurt any seals. I would love to seebsomeone try to clean dirt out of one of these couplers with hydraulic oil...then i would love to see the dirt caked oily mess after a weeks work.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #13  
That’s what we like about the starting fluid, it has a pretty high psi out of the can , evaporates quick, and cuts the grease and oil.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #14  
I use brake cleaner also, for most hygiene requirements where petroleum products are concerned. Unlike carb cleaner and such, most types don't attack most painted surfaces. Air or a rag cleanup.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors
I use brake cleaner also, for most hygiene requirements where petroleum products are concerned. Unlike carb cleaner and such, most types don't attack most painted surfaces. Air or a rag cleanup.

So maybe have several decent choices..... Brake Cleaner, WD40 or Start Fluid.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #16  
I certainly DO recommend cleaning the couplers before connecting them, I am currently replacing 3 leaking couplers and I am pretty certain that the leaks would have been prevented had I cleaned them better than just a quick wipe with a rag. The couplers I have and I'm certain most have end up costing around $15-20 each so that can add up over time.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #17  
The easiest solution is to change them out for flat faced skid steer couplings which are easily cleaned with your hand or a dry rag. For the ag style couplings a compressed solvent like starting fluid or brake cleaner is the best way. Swirling them in hydraulic fluid is a ridiculous mess that wouldn’t even work.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #18  
The easiest solution is to change them out for flat faced skid steer couplings which are easily cleaned with your hand or a dry rag.

I totally agree that, that is the easiest solution, and I considered it, however the price scared me away, the price at my local hydraulic supply store was $90+ EACH, I found some online but they were still around $80 each, so I quit looking. I don't blame anyone for making that switch, it just didn't work for me.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #19  
Cleaning them is correct procedure but that’s why I use flat face connectors just wipe them off

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #20  
I like WD40, its a great cleaner. I'm always concerned that Brake Clean or other harsh cleaners/solvents will damage the o-rings-probably unfounded though.

Ditto on this - I carry a small can and a role of wipes with me on the tractor, It also works as a hand cleaner.