Deer season

/ Deer season #141  
We had a nice haul for us in upstate NY.
6pt during bow for me
9pt during bow my son
8pt during rifle for me
8pt for my son during rifle

IMG_0008.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPG

Freezer is full. And we are thankful....

/ Deer season #142  
It goes out here January 1st, we can kill 2 bucks and 4 does. Where we hunt we are blessed to have more bucks than does at the moment.

You are also blessed with your seasons. Our season is also open to early January but for bucks only after Thanksgiving weekend. Then muzzle loader starts after that. Properties in the managed deer land program can hunt through February I believe. The state surveys their property and allots tags accordingly.

/ Deer season
   / Deer season #144  
My food plots are starting to pay off.Had this guy on my game camera about 50 yards from our house.

Attachments

• IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 116
   / Deer season #146  
Took my first deer on my life Sunday! I made a nice little food plot this fall. Has brought some decent deer. I have sat out there 7 times, both morning and evening. The deer have been pretty nocturnal lately. I let a doe with 2 fawns walk last Tuesday, they have been the only deer I have seen on there this year on any of my hunts. My trigger finger was getting itchy. This beautiful doe walked in about 20 minutes after I got settled in. Perfect lung shot, she went about 60 feet and was dead. View attachment 629123View attachment 629124 I take a look at the game camera an hour later this guy comes walking through, first time the camera has caught him in daylight hours this yearView attachment 629125:mur:
Oh well, I am pleased with my first deer and my main goal is a load of venison in the freezer, got that! I am not planning on taking any more does this year, trying to grow the herd. But I will sit some more at a shot at that buck!

Congrats!

/ Deer season #147  
So some whitetail just aren't that observant.
Yesterday, I shot another 8 pointer; but that's not the real story. We have had this young buck (Doofus) walking around for about a week; going everywhere, through our yard, driveway, etc - without a care in the world. He is a hoot to watch.
Anyway, yesterday, I'm in my blind when a nice 8 pointer comes out of the woods on the neighbor's property and starts to walk along the woodline, moving further away. He was sniffing, pawing the ground, and I watched him through the binoculars. There was still about 90 minutes of daylight left, so I hoped he would make a turn and come back. He ducked back into the woods and out of sight.

So this young buck (Doofus) then comes out, and starts walking around in my field. Also, a couple of does came out. Perfect! Something to interest that 8 pointer.

Sure enough, after a while the 8 pointer comes out of the woods on my side and starts to head for the does.

((Now back to doofus, by now he is walking across the field toward my blind. At this point, he is only about 50 yards away.))

So back to the 8 pointer. When the 8 pointer is about 170 yards away, he turns broadside and stands there watching the does. Sorry Fella, at least you were watching the girls when I pulled the trigger.

So what did Doofus do when the gun goes bang, and the 8 pointer makes one leap and drops?

Nothing. He just looked around and started eating. Then Doofus decides to casually walk in front of me.

Anyway, thanks for patiently reading the narrative - here is a pic of Doofus as he walks by my blind. The rifle barrel is there to indicate to Doofus that he really should be more careful.

Close Deer.jpg

The 8p:
3062D6D1A411451CB12AA0109A85F27A.jpg

/ Deer season
My wife got it done this morning.
IMG_3234.jpg

/ Deer season #149  
So some whitetail just aren't that observant.
Yesterday, I shot another 8 pointer; but that's not the real story. We have had this young buck (Doofus) walking around for about a week; going everywhere, through our yard, driveway, etc - without a care in the world. He is a hoot to watch.
Anyway, yesterday, I'm in my blind when a nice 8 pointer comes out of the woods on the neighbor's property and starts to walk along the woodline, moving further away. He was sniffing, pawing the ground, and I watched him through the binoculars. There was still about 90 minutes of daylight left, so I hoped he would make a turn and come back. He ducked back into the woods and out of sight.

So this young buck (Doofus) then comes out, and starts walking around in my field. Also, a couple of does came out. Perfect! Something to interest that 8 pointer.

Sure enough, after a while the 8 pointer comes out of the woods on my side and starts to head for the does.

((Now back to doofus, by now he is walking across the field toward my blind. At this point, he is only about 50 yards away.))

So back to the 8 pointer. When the 8 pointer is about 170 yards away, he turns broadside and stands there watching the does. Sorry Fella, at least you were watching the girls when I pulled the trigger.

So what did Doofus do when the gun goes bang, and the 8 pointer makes one leap and drops?

Nothing. He just looked around and started eating. Then Doofus decides to casually walk in front of me.

Anyway, thanks for patiently reading the narrative - here is a pic of Doofus as he walks by my blind. The rifle barrel is there to indicate to Doofus that he really should be more careful.

View attachment 629416

The 8p:
View attachment 629418

If I had a Doofus wondering around my place, he would be off limits no matter how good his rack was. Since I've never experienced something like that, I think that I would enjoy seeing him every day.

/ Deer season #150  
If I had a Doofus wondering around my place, he would be off limits no matter how good his rack was. Since I've never experienced something like that, I think that I would enjoy seeing him every day.

Yes, I'm that way also. That's why I can't shoot a doe now. We named them all. We know their babies. We named the babies. Now Doofus has become a pet.
I hope he survives until next year, but around where I live he is up against heavy odds.