Age old question; which tractor for steep hills

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #1  

RunningSpring

Tractor
Kubota B7100
Gentlemen,

I have been reading through some forums and am looking for some advice. I live on a country property in Mendocino county, California. We have 240 acres, much of which is redwood forest that I leave alone. There are about 5 acres around the house that I would like to keep mown for aesthetic and fire protection reasons. I'd also like to be able to clear more brush and use a grapple to help with clean up, etc.
The issue I have is that much of my land is quite steep. There are areas that go all the way up to 35 degrees as measured by a clinometer although most areas are in the 10-25 degree range. I certainly want to be safe and have been looking at options of what might work.
The things that would seem to fit the bill would be a Ven-trac, Power trac or European style tractor like Antonio Carraro. Here is my take on each; Ven-trac appears very well built and garners great reviews here and elsewhere. My concern is that it looks a little under powered, especially for the price. $25,000 for something that looks very much like a lawn tractor (no offense) seems pretty pricey, especially given it's lift capacity, etc.
Power trac seems interesting but the lack of dealer support is a concern. I'm handy in a general way, but I'm no mechanic. My other concern is that I'd have to fly to Virginia to take a look at it and then figure out how to get it back here. Do you gentleman have experience in this part? Is shipping relatively easy/cheap?
Antonio Carraro does have a dealership (about 3 hours away). I've talked to a representative and he suggested the TN major tractor. This is a 50 hp model rated to 40 degrees in each direction. The downsides are that it's front heavy and non-reversible so although front end loaders are available, the lift capacity is decreased. This was quoted to me at $29,500 which seems reasonable for what it is.
Another idea would be an AC TTR 4400 which is a little more expensive, has a 38 hp engine but does have the reversible operator station, making a rear loader optional and making operation easier.
Another pro would be that these operate standard PTO attachments which are easier to find locally.

At this point I'm leaning toward the AC. They seem like a better deal for the price but I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts. Is there another option I should be looking at? There is a Kubota/New Holland dealer in town and a Mahindra/Branson dealer about 90 minutes away. It would be nice to go with someone more local, but again I want to feel comfortable in my seat.

Thanks

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #2  
Maybe:

https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/specialty/m-low-profile

m-low-profile.jpg

Bruce

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills
Unfortunately that comes in at 58,000 for the base model...

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #4  
1) I suggest starting at the local New Holland/Kubota dealer.

The local Mendocino dealer must have figured out hillside modifications or they would not be in business.

Thirty years ago I worked for a Mendocino winery. We had all Deere tractors. I would shop your nearest Deere dealer too.

2) How distant is your nearest Ventrac dealer? I have no Ventrac experience but Ventracs have the reputation of being rugged and relatively simple. Ventracs are engineered for hills with rear engines and equal sized wheels. Diesel engines are Kubota. For five acres a Ventrac would be ample tractor.

3) Dealer tractor transportation for service is about $2 per mile in Florida. In Mendocino, where a very heavy truck and trailer would be necessary, fuel is expensive and speeds moderate, transport could be $3.00 per mile.

75 miles X 4 segments (two round trips) = 300 miles X $3.00 = $900 just for transportation.

Last edited:
   / Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #5  
Hello Running Spring, 2 things, 1), Adjustable rims.Optional on most brands. These allow you to widen the track of the tractor and make a huge difference to sidling( new zealand term to describe a tractors ability to drive across a slope) ability. eg MF 135 factory default is approx 6', set to max width it is approx 7'4". I took this tractor places I would never go with the wheels on the narrow setting.

2) Dual wheels. Massive gain in stability AND extra traction. This lets you drive across a sidling so steep you need a seatbelt to stay in the seat. Look at the various options to remove the outer wheels to. Some are quicker and easier to use than others. This becomes an issue when trailering as most trailers are deck-between-wheel type, not deck-over. When mowing hay you can drop the outer right wheel easily enough. Standard practise locally is to ballast the inner wheel and air only in the outer, so you can handle the outer safely when removeing it.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #6  
By the way, you only need to dual the rear axle, not the front as they won't add to stability.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #7  
I live on a country property in Mendocino county, California. We have 240 acres, much of which is redwood forest that I leave alone. There are about 5 acres around the house that I would like to keep mown for aesthetic and fire protection reasons. I'd also like to be able to clear more brush and use a grapple to help with clean up, etc.

Describe the topography of the five (5) acres around your house.

Last edited:
   / Age old question; which tractor for steep hills
Thanks for the replies

Jeff: The nearest ven-trac dealer is about 3-4 hours away. In terms of the area around my house, I essentially live at the top of a fairly steep hill with the land sloping away on 3 sides from my house. One side is quite steep with slopes up to 35 degrees.
I think you're right that I should talk to the boys at the local dealership. I've walked through and the only thing that looked like it would work was the NH crawler which was out of my price range. I'll ask to see if they have any suggestions.

Redman: I like the idea of the dual wheels. Is this something you guys have used before? Is there any downside in terms of stress on the tractor, etc? Is there a reason you don't see this modification done more commonly?

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #9  
I can not help a lot but you might get by with a more conventional tractor if you can drive up and down the hills instead of having to go sideways on the hills.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #10  
My Kubota M6040 has Rim Guard loaded rear tires( 1550# ). They are set out at 80" - outside to outside. It still retains stability on slopes where I will not venture. On really steep stuff I go vertical - never horizontal.

As jeff9366 said - your local dealerships must have figured out solutions for ops on steep slopes. I'd be checking with them.