Age old question; which tractor for steep hills

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #51  
.....and R1 rims may (depending on brand/model) have more possible width adjustments.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #52  
I'm using R4s spaced wide on my steep property. They work well. Better than the R1s on my last tractor. R4s are wider to begin with, the the tire's shoulder is more square than round like R1s. Both of which are good for stability. Properly aired down, traction is good. My tractor came with higher pressure in the tires than I like to run. I like about 15 psi in the rears, 20 or 25 in front.

I think the R1s/R4s thing on dirt depends on the soil you have. R1s would be good in mud or loam. Our soil is sandy. Even though we get a lot of rain there's not much mud.

I'm sure they'd have better traction but I don't think radials are commonly sold on CUTS in the US yet.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #53  
I'm using R4s spaced wide on my steep property. They work well. Better than the R1s on my last tractor. R4s are wider to begin with, the the tire's shoulder is more square than round like R1s. Both of which are good for stability. Properly aired down, traction is good. My tractor came with higher pressure in the tires than I like to run. I like about 15 psi in the rears, 20 or 25 in front.

I think the R1s/R4s thing on dirt depends on the soil you have. R1s would be good in mud or loam. Our soil is sandy. Even though we get a lot of rain there's not much mud.

I'm sure they'd have better traction but I don't think radials are commonly sold on CUTS in the US yet.

You're not comparing apples to apples. You had two different machines with two different tire widths/sizes, weights are different, etc...