Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #201  
STx, THANK YOU for posting the guide about the buyasession. I registered with the forum just to thank you for your guide. I'm posting this from my laptop listing to music on my amazon echo using my 12 months wroth of AT&T internet. So far so good!!! Better than my only other option of satellite internet for $100 (and data capped).

No internet was the only downside moving out to the country from the suburbs where I had 150mbps xfinity. But now we have home internet and are getting around 40mbps which is for the most part good enough for our needs.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #202  
STx, THANK YOU for posting the guide about the buyasession. I registered with the forum just to thank you for your guide. I'm posting this from my laptop listing to music on my amazon echo using my 12 months wroth of AT&T internet. So far so good!!! Better than my only other option of satellite internet for $100 (and data capped).

No internet was the only downside moving out to the country from the suburbs where I had 150mbps xfinity. But now we have home internet and are getting around 40mbps which is for the most part good enough for our needs.
I'm glad it helped. Unlimited, fast Internet was a requirement for us before we moved, we ran out business online. We used a local WISP for a while but, it got unreliable. The cellular based service has been great for us.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #203  
I'm glad it helped. Unlimited, fast Internet was a requirement for us before we moved, we ran out business online. We used a local WISP for a while but, it got unreliable. The cellular based service has been great for us.

I also just registered now to thank you as well! I pretty much had the same situation as jjoel. Thank you again for explaining how to get this setup!

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Just thought I would update this thread. We were getting speeds of 5 mb or so. Still not "high speed".

If I stand outside with my cell phone I can get higher speeds when not connected to the wifi. So I got Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Wideband Directional Antenna 7-27 MHz, 5 Ohm (314411)

And associated cables, connectors and such. There happens to be a pole right outside the window the MoFi router sits in. I got all the equipment last night. Hooking it up and just holding it out the window as a beta test.... I got higher speeds and much better ping times.

Went from 3.0 mb up to 10.0 and latency dropped from 180 ms to 60 ms.

I suspect when mounted to the pole and more properly oriented toward the tower we will see significant speed increase.

The MoFi can actually attach to TWO of these antenna. So I may be ordering another one to really increase speed.

I will post more once everything is hooked up.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #205  
Not that it's directly related, but on the topic of speeds for these types of devices: I recently replaced my Mobley with a Netgear Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) device. The newer/better technology bumped my speeds from typical range of 9-16Mb/s to 22-55Mb/s. Quite a nice jump. This is without an external antenna. Before the Nighthawk I also tried a Unite Explore but that device was very inconsistent and problematic for me. May have just been a bad unit (I purchased it used). Anyway, all of these speeds make for a much better connection for me that the only wired option in my rural location, which is a 5Mb/s (typically 2.0-4.0) DSL line.

Rob

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #207  
$90/mo and $4-500 in equipment isn't looking all that attractive. I pay about $60/mo for 25M DSL after some discounts. Now if those discounts were to vanish and I was assured of more than 25 ... well ... maybe. 25 does everything I need for what I do with one or two devices and no streaming.

Some issues:

DSL is sometimes prone to outages, either nearby or distant due to cable cuts or storms knocking lines down.

DSL gives me a basic phone line that I've cut the frills off. I can call 911 and 800 numbers, but nothing else without tolls. I also get incoming calls. If I were to drop DSL and go to wireless, I'd either lose that, or still have to pay something to keep it which raises the total. I'd still have 911 ability as long as the line is connected even without calling ability.

Wireless is dependent on cell signal. That can be good if copper phone lines go down, but bad in extended power outages if the cell tower goes down. We've had situations where that happened.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
$90/mo and $4-500 in equipment isn't looking all that attractive. I pay about $60/mo for 25M DSL after some discounts. Now if those discounts were to vanish and I was assured of more than 25 ... well ... maybe. 25 does everything I need for what I do with one or two devices and no streaming.

Some issues:

DSL is sometimes prone to outages, either nearby or distant due to cable cuts or storms knocking lines down.

DSL gives me a basic phone line that I've cut the frills off. I can call 911 and 800 numbers, but nothing else without tolls. I also get incoming calls. If I were to drop DSL and go to wireless, I'd either lose that, or still have to pay something to keep it which raises the total. I'd still have 911 ability as long as the line is connected even without calling ability.

Wireless is dependent on cell signal. That can be good if copper phone lines go down, but bad in extended power outages if the cell tower goes down. We've had situations where that happened.

Do you think if I could get 25mb Dsl I would be doing this? I mean seriously.......

We get ? mb dsl. In quotes because most of the time it was sub 1mb when it was working at all.

But you know thanks for pointing out something not available to me is better than what I have available. Useful comments

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #210  

Some issues:

It's $30/mo if you buy direct from AT&T instead of Ubifi, same service either way. The MOFI is $300 direct from them but, I'm starting to see a lot of knock-offs on Amazon for a lot less. I just bought one of these for $230, it physically looks the same but, I haven't tested it yet - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1Z41R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Here is an option for $91, I haven't tried it yet - https://smile.amazon.com/Huawei-Rou...er+huawei&qid=1575640939&s=electronics&sr=1-2.

I know there's a lot to read in this thread now but, if you go through it you'll find that I've given you step by step instructions to do this a lot cheaper than Ubifi is charging, although the expenses are front loaded, once you pay them you're done for the year.

I'm pretty sure you can call 911 from a cell phone and they'll know where the call is coming from now. I haven't had a land line for probably 15 years, we've used cell phones and VoIP since it became practical to do so.

As far as speeds are concerned, there's no guarantee but I haven't had mine below 25MB even in the evening when everyone is home and streaming YouTube videos.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 65