Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO?

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
Thinking about getting a Winco 10 kw PTO generator for use during a power outage.

Wonder about continuous running on the G Series PTO rated at 25 horsepower.

Winco 10 kw.jpg
Winco model-10774.jpg

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #2  
X....I thought of the same thing and have been trying to find any info on it. The PTO seemed to run my rotary cutter fine but a generator needs a constant speed. I have yet to read anything on line so far to answer the question....will it work. I hope someone responds....

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #3  
the generator will put out different frequencies as load is applied, because the tractor don't have an automatic speed control, other than that, it should work fine.. I'd suggest getting a 10KW generator combo instead. it'll keep 60 HZ under load..

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #4  
the generator will put out different frequencies as load is applied, because the tractor don't have an automatic speed control
You mean the pto speed isn't controlled when loaded, with the engine governor, like all other tractors?

SR

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO?
the generator will put out different frequencies as load is applied, because the tractor don't have an automatic speed control, other than that, it should work fine.. I'd suggest getting a 10KW generator combo instead. it'll keep 60 HZ under load..

You mean the pto speed isn't controlled when loaded, with the engine governor, like all other tractors?

SR
I don't know, that is why I started this thread. Since you can't use the front aux hydraulics at the same time as the hydraulic PTO, I think they use the same pump and it handles the 7' brush hog on the front pretty well.

The PTO:

P5150025.JPG
P5150018.JPG

P1300001.JPG

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #6  
I'm betting you won't have any problems at all...

It's amazing to me, how many on this site don't know that their tractors have governors!

Some even argue that THEIR tractor can't run a pto gen set, because THEIR tractor doesn't have a governor...
orig.gif

SR

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #7  
It would be quite inefficient. Firetrucks often use a hydraulic driven Generator. (Often Onan) Don't get so worried about exact speed. Probably nothing in your house cares. Maybe UPSes won't accept something too far out of freq.

An alternative would be to run a three phase generator, make DC and run an inverter. That's how my Onan Quiet Diesel set does it. It would also allow you to run slower rpms depending on load.

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #8  
The nice feature the 5610 has is the digital PTO rpm reading on the dash. As you use the PTO, you get a direct reading on the rpm it is running.

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO? #9  
Thinking about getting a Winco 10 kw PTO generator for use during a power outage.

Wonder about continuous running on the G Series PTO rated at 25 horsepower.

I'm betting you won't have any problems at all...

It's amazing to me, how many on this site don't know that their tractors have governors!

Some even argue that THEIR tractor can't run a pto gen set, because THEIR tractor doesn't have a governor...
orig.gif

SR

25 Hp = 18.65kW, so it should have more than enough power to turn generator at full load and hold rpms/freq.

Easy now Sawyer Rob. Not everybody has rebuilt or learned theory of injector pumps. That's why people come here. To learn.
...you do have a point about arguing...

/ Anyone run a generator on the Toolcat 5610 hydraulic PTO?
The nice feature the 5610 has is the digital PTO rpm reading on the dash. As you use the PTO, you get a direct reading on the rpm it is running.

Yep, need to borrow a three point brush hog, watch the PTO RPM display, get into some thick stuff and see how much it drops.

I can also monitor the pressure from the pump while mowing with the SSQA brush hog:

P7140007.JPG
P7250005.JPG

Last edited: