Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time. #861  
Nice Mark! Can we see what magnets you used? And the new lathe! Please....
Nothing special... just some cheap magnets from Harbor Freight.

Lathe I am super happy with... a Nova Galaxy. What a dream... digital variable drive. I bought a couple Vicmarc chucks and now I just need to live up to the equipment I have. Of course I went straight to bowl turning rather than hone my skills on simpler spindle type projects but that's me. Currently making my first box with mortise/tenon lid thanks to a couple YouTube vids on technique.

/ Todays shop time. #862  
Nothing special... just some cheap magnets from Harbor Freight.

Lathe I am super happy with... a Nova Galaxy. What a dream... digital variable drive. I bought a couple Vicmarc chucks and now I just need to live up to the equipment I have. Of course I went straight to bowl turning rather than hone my skills on simpler spindle type projects but that's me. Currently making my first box with mortise/tenon lid thanks to a couple YouTube vids on technique.

Congratulatins! That is a very nice lathe. You'll have a lot of fun with it!

/ Todays shop time. #863  
1D873384-A7C9-4E08-A52D-D1FB807B5888.jpegDFBB7A64-9944-4FC7-BFE9-B3FEE34F51FA.jpeg
Congratulatins! That is a very nice lathe. You'll have a lot of fun with it!
Here is a picture of a recent neighborhood barn find. Eight foot long bed, variable speed DC motor with controller and a box full of accessories. I haven稚 turned wood since high school almost 60 years ago so looking forward to new shop adventures. This machine is branded South Bend but I cannot find any evidence that it was used as a metal working lathe.
Can稚 wait to get it into the shop and restore it. Both the head stock and tail stock spindles are true with no run out and align perfectly.
B. John

/ Todays shop time.
My wood splitter has a 30” stroke and I don’t split 30” wood so I had bolts in the beam flange to stop it short to save time. After a couple years of doing that it broke the end off the cylinder. So after I fixed that I rigged up this contraception to knock the valve back to neutral. IMG_8081.JPG

/ Todays shop time. #865  
My wood splitter has a 30” stroke and I don’t split 30” wood so I had bolts in the beam flange to stop it short to save time. After a couple years of doing that it broke the end off the cylinder. So after I fixed that I rigged up this contraception to knock the valve back to neutral. View attachment 636932

Thats a cleverly simple way to do that with the spring rather than a slide.

I did the same thing about 6 years ago. Splitter stops at 26" and I split 18" or 16" mostly. So I made a plate stop bolted to the beam. I tore out the wedge bolt holes. Fixed that and made an adjustable lever contraption to throw the the lever to stop. On mine I had to push the lever the opposite direction of the wedge travel so I needed a pivot. Saves a lot of time stopping the splitter in the right place.

Stop2.JPG

Stop3.JPG

Stop6.JPG

SplitterReturnStop - YouTube

gg

/ Todays shop time.
The direction of mine and yours is the same. Mine hits the valve body instead of the handle. But yours is a lot cleaner job than mine.

/ Todays shop time. #867  
The direction of mine and yours is the same. Mine hits the valve body instead of the handle. But yours is a lot cleaner job than mine.

Oh ya I see - you were smarter than me !!

gg

/ Todays shop time.
Oh ya I see - you were smarter than me !!

gg

I’m trying to figure out how to get it to auto return. I know I could buy a valve to do it but I think they’re like $300. I want to do it with a lever. Pushing the valve back to neutral wouldn’t be that hard but it would have to store energy to finish the movement. I haven’t figured out the storing energy and resetting it for the next cycle part.

/ Todays shop time. #869  
I am a long time weekend woodworker but only recently got into woodturning. Never thought I would like it. I am kind of a straight edge and precision guy and turning always seemed too... artsy I guess. This summer my son signed us both up for a woodturning class in Bend Oregon while we were visiting. I found it relaxing and liberating. My wife, with my wallet, bought me a lathe for Xmas after much research on lathes.

View attachment 636797

Does that chip collector sitting on the HF dolly work well for you?
Where did you find that?

/ Todays shop time.
Does that chip collector sitting on the HF dolly work well for you?
Where did you find that?

My guess is it works decent for small stuff like the picture. For turning bowls and stuff the chips are coming off too hard and in too many directions to catch many of them. I put a shower curtain around my lathe to contain most of them. If you don’t already have one an overhead air filter makes a huge difference. Not just for a lathe but every tool. I’ve got 2 in my shop. They make the shop experience way better.