Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time. #881  
Well we had a fun one in the shop this morning at the farm ( the last of about 3 days off and on).
The generator went out on the old IH 560 last fall and we got tired of charging the battery every couple of days,
and using a boost pack at times. So a nice new rebuilt generator and still no charge what the heck,
pulled the cover off the regulator close the points and it would charge, shut it off try again no charge till manually
closing the regulator points, OK well heck we will get a new regulator no change, heck whats going on.
Order another regulator possible a bad new one, nope same thing.
Disconnect all the wire and ohm them out make sure they are landed correctly every thing looks good,
all hooked up proper. Dang what is going on, got out a long jumper and start bypassing the wiring harness
maybe its bad after all it is well over 50 years old. Nope every thing looks good, checking voltages.
They seem strange getting voltages that are way high 15 to 19 volts but no amps???????
Finally use the jumper wire to ground the case of the regulator to the battery IT WORKS.
The threaded bolts going into the bracket were not grounding the voltage regulator like it did for decades,
threw a bonding wire on from the mounting bolt to the battery she works fine now.
Simple little thing that has had us pulling our hair out 3 different days and most likely 2 unneeded voltage regulators.

/ Todays shop time. #882  
Thank you.

The base wood is some kind of California black walnut/eucalyptus if IIRC from what the guy at Woodcraft told me. The top handle is from rotten vine maple from my back yard that I stabilized with some cactus juice (infused resin). The decorative ring is gold glitter applied with CA glue prior to turning.

Beyond my ability.. Nice work !

/ Todays shop time. #883  
Beyond my ability.. Nice work !
Thanks... here are my first two pens I turned this weekend. Getting back into woodworking this winter after I finally dug out some of my buried tools and machines in the shop along with playing with my new lathe.

IMG_3868.jpg

/ Todays shop time. #884  
Thanks... here are my first two pens I turned this weekend. Getting back into woodworking this winter after I finally dug out some of my buried tools and machines in the shop along with playing with my new lathe.

View attachment 642644

Awesome Mark! I’m glad you are getting so much enjoyment out of your new lathe.

/ Todays shop time. #885  
Well we had a fun one in the shop this morning at the farm ( the last of about 3 days off and on).
The generator went out on the old IH 560 last fall and we got tired of charging the battery every couple of days,
and using a boost pack at times. So a nice new rebuilt generator and still no charge what the heck,
pulled the cover off the regulator close the points and it would charge, shut it off try again no charge till manually
closing the regulator points, OK well heck we will get a new regulator no change, heck whats going on.
Order another regulator possible a bad new one, nope same thing.
Disconnect all the wire and ohm them out make sure they are landed correctly every thing looks good,
all hooked up proper. Dang what is going on, got out a long jumper and start bypassing the wiring harness
maybe its bad after all it is well over 50 years old. Nope every thing looks good, checking voltages.
They seem strange getting voltages that are way high 15 to 19 volts but no amps???????
Finally use the jumper wire to ground the case of the regulator to the battery IT WORKS.
The threaded bolts going into the bracket were not grounding the voltage regulator like it did for decades,
threw a bonding wire on from the mounting bolt to the battery she works fine now.
Simple little thing that has had us pulling our hair out 3 different days and most likely 2 unneeded voltage regulators.

Mysterious electrical gremlins can usually be traced to bad or no grounds.
It's a shame you had to throw all those parts money and time at it.

/ Todays shop time. #886  

It's interesting that unscrewing the mounting bolts, replacing the regulator with a new one, and reinstalling the bolts didn't disturb the contact surfaces enough to reestablish a ground. At least a good enough one to get things going again!

Lou, the good news is that, with the new parts, that bad boy will likely run fine for another 50 years. :laughing:

/ Todays shop time. #887  
It's interesting that unscrewing the mounting bolts, replacing the regulator with a new one, and reinstalling the bolts didn't disturb the contact surfaces enough to reestablish a ground. At least a good enough one to get things going again!

Lou, the good news is that, with the new parts, that bad boy will likely run fine for another 50 years. :laughing:

She should last quite awhile, it's strange to think that when she came to the farm back in 1961 with a set of 4 bottom 16" fast hitch plows that she was the "big" tractor replaceing the Farmall 400 in that role.
Now she used for light duty chores, at times she'll sit for a month at a time.
Still about the nicest tractor for moving wagons around and backing them into tight spaces, with the narrow front end and short wheel base you can tuck a wagon in tight and close together.

/ Todays shop time. #888  

It’s happened to me more than once.

/ Todays shop time.
I added 2 grab hooks and a d ring on my bucket and a fitting guard on the back side of my grapple. The grapple had a guard on the front side but I put the grapple in the bucket for transport and the bucket back was hitting the fitting. IMG_8368.JPGIMG_8369.JPG