Age old question; which tractor for steep hills

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #41  
They make a "backhoe" attachment to fit on a quick attach skid steer. There are 3 point to QA plates that can be used on the rear of the tractor. So if the 3point /QA plate is added to the tractor with a hydraulic top link and the skid steer backhoe might duplicate the arm in #37. It would not be ideal but it might work.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #42  
RunningSpring, I sent you a private message re: an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #43  
Wooly Acres,

Has the machine been dependable for you? I would be a good distance from a dealership so I will probable be doing most of the maintenance myself. Has it given you any major issues? I was looking at the TN Major as an option, which is non-reversible; It sounds like the reversible operating station has been a boon?

D

I purchased my machine used. It had just been in for service before I bought it. It's never given me any trouble. I've had it about 18 months and put about 400 hours on it. It just runs. I've changed fluids and filters; never had any problem getting parts shipped directly to me from the AC dealer in SW Pennsylvania. They've been really good to me; send me parts diagrams so I can review them to figure out exactly what part I need. I've ordered a couple odd-ball parts like a pin for the 3pt that was non-standard (not US). They order from Italy so if you're in a hurry you can end up paying a premium for shipping all the way from there but if you can wait, they will eventually get enough parts requests that they will order. Then I just pay shipping from them to me. They keep all the filters in stock so that's never a problem.

I love the reversibility. Mine came with a 5' Del Merino flail mower. I've been hard on the mower and it's given me some trouble but in my opinion there's nothing better than mowing what's in front of you. It's super easy to see (for along fence lines for instance), there's less stuff for the tractor to run over (after it's been through the flail there isn't much left), and because the engine is at the 'back' it doesn't get clogged up with seeds etc where you have to keep cleaning the radiator.

I use mine mostly for mowing. We also pull a hay rake with it (because it turns sharper than any of our other tractors) and we use it to run a hydraulic round bale wrapper. We use it to pull empty or partly empty hay wagons, pulls a 4'x8' hydraulic dump trailer, and I use it to maintain my driveway with a 5' box blade, it occasionally pulls a 5' rototiller or 3PT PTO driven seeder/spreader. In addition to the flail mower it came with a V snow plow. Where I live that should be like gold, but my driveway is too narrow and winter too long for pushing snow to the sides. I have a snow blower I use to keep the drive clear.

Mine has no block heater or oil heater so I keep the battery on a tender for winter time starting. It's not great at starting in the winter but it will do it- another reason I normally use the snow blower (on a Wheelhorse 520H). Overall it's been a great machine.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #44  
You're right. Dave has set up Mahindra's and Branson's for work on steep slopes. Dave sold me a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 in standard configuration with large ag rear wheels. However, my 1965 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel is rigged up for use in the local olive orchards and on slopes.

MF135 stump2.JPGMF135 stump1 (1).JPG

The rears are 18" wide with 16" diameter rims. The front spindles have been shortened to keep the tractor level. Case makes a line of Straddle tractors that are similar to that 135, which is also a straddle tractor.

JX Straddle Tractors | Case IH

Good luck

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #45  
Interesting situation... have you checked into paying someone to mow it....? We mow a 29 degree hill side (vertical) with an l3400... but only mow twice a year because that steep needs some vegetation to keep the soil from washing off (grows rocks)... Good luck with the adventure...!

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #46  
You're right. Dave has set up Mahindra's and Branson's for work on steep slopes. Dave sold me a new 2008 Mahindra 5525 in standard configuration with large ag rear wheels. However, my 1965 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel is rigged up for use in the local olive orchards and on slopes.

View attachment 632734View attachment 632735

The rears are 18" wide with 16" diameter rims. The front spindles have been shortened to keep the tractor level. Case makes a line of Straddle tractors that are similar to that 135, which is also a straddle tractor.

JX Straddle Tractors | Case IH

Good luck
Width is definitely your friend when it comes to slopes. I mow some really steep stuff with the old Ford. For reference, that is a 6 foot cutter.

tractor rear view.jpg

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills
Just went down to the Kubota/NH dealer. They suggested r4 tires and spacing the rear wheels as much as possible or going with a ctl at about 2x the cost. I think next I値l try out buddies m series kubota on his place (similar to mine)

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #48  
I'd disagree with the choice of R4 tires for traction on hillsides.

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #49  
Just went down to the Kubota/NH dealer. They suggested r4 tires and spacing the rear wheels as much as possible or going with a ctl at about 2x the cost. I think next I値l try out buddies m series kubota on his place (similar to mine)
I would not want R4 on any slopes they slide very easy just on damp grass, I have never had it happen to the extent of the R4's with R1's. They are a hard No for slopes in my opinion. You should be able to get wider R1's that fit the same if you want wider tires.

I'd disagree with the choice of R4 tires for traction on hillsides.
X2

/ Age old question; which tractor for steep hills #50  
I think I would go with R1 Radial tires. Those are wider tires and provide better tractors than bias R1s.