Todays shop time.

/ Todays shop time. #871  
Does that chip collector sitting on the HF dolly work well for you?
Where did you find that?

I didn’t rig it up so much for chip collection but for sanding dust. I reverse my rotation for sanding and it is very effective as long as your dust collector ‘sucks’.

I bought it from woodcraft. You can buy the chute itself, or with adjustable height/tilt function. I put it on a HF dolly and I can easily position it wherever I want behind the lathe.

A bit of a luxury but my new push this year is to dramatically improve my dust collection for health reasons in addition to the obvious desire to have a cleaner shop.

/ Todays shop time. #872  
All: my kind of thread. I知 here to learn and maybe share a few things too

/ Todays shop time. #873  
Some shop output... a little jewelry box turned for the wifey for Valentine's day! Was a couple days late and that made it a surprise. :D

IMG_0901.jpg

/ Todays shop time. #874  
   / Todays shop time. #875  
That’s a beauty,Mark!

/ Todays shop time. #876  
I bought a mill a couple months ago that needed some attention so as I have some time, I work on it. I have the head completely dismantled and cleaned up, just waiting on some parts. One of the problems with the mill is the ram and pinion gear were frozen in place so each time I worked on it I would spray some penetrant on all the joints hoping to be able to break loose the ram and pinion. Finally yesterday I focused on breaking it loose.

I tried a chain with a bar for leverage but just couldn't break it loose before turning the mill. Finally I used the chain, as shown in the picture, and a small bottle jack. It didn't appear it was going to work but just as the jack was getting close to its max pressure the ram moved which turned the pinion so all was good. Once everything had moved I was able to hook a crowbar under the head of the bolt in the pinion gear and pull it right out. Success.

IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0365.JPG

The bolt in the end of the pinion shaft is the doings of a previous owner trying to get everything broke loose. As you can see, the drilled the hole is at an angle so now I will chuck it up in a lathe, bore the hole straight and tap it for a bigger bolt. I will also drill out the broken handle and make a new one. I suspect this project will take at least another six months as I plan on stripping and repainting the whole machine while I am at it.

/ Todays shop time. #877  
Spent some time in shop for first time in a long time. Made a fixture to Silver Solder bandsaw blades. Thought I was out of replacement blades. Found 3 spare blades tucked in back of a cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
   / Todays shop time. #878  
I broke my extra length plastic shoe horn this morning.

IMG_2413.jpg

After seeing how much Amazon wanted for a new one I retrieved it out of the garbage and rounded off the broken end with a zip cut wheel. Take note of the precision layout.

IMG_2416.jpg

Repair job works fine.

IMG_2415.jpg

/ Todays shop time. #879  
Very nice, Mark! Black walnut?
Thank you.

The base wood is some kind of California black walnut/eucalyptus if IIRC from what the guy at Woodcraft told me. The top handle is from rotten vine maple from my back yard that I stabilized with some cactus juice (infused resin). The decorative ring is gold glitter applied with CA glue prior to turning.

/ Todays shop time. #880