Buying Advice Buying used, how many hours are too many?

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #11  
I put on just a bit under 100 hours a year. So in ten years ill have 1000 hours. Thats not a lot really. I feel like equipment that has of upwards of 4000 hours is a used machine.

But you can be looking at a machine with 1000 hrs compared to one with 3000hrs and the latter might be in better condition. I keep up with maintenance and look after my equipment some owners do not do this. For instance my dealer took in a machine where the gentleman forgot to put his air filter back in his tractor. Yes you read that right. It had a mouse nest in there instead of the filter. So his tractor sits outside and clearly isn't taking care of it. Luckily for that guy he didnt cause any major damage but i sure in the **** would not want to buy his tractor if he ever put it up for sale.

My dad has had his kubota since 94. It still runs good. He use to install new grass for homeowners. So that tractor really had some hours on it for about its first 10 years. But today it still runs fine. Clearly its not new but it operates fine. I would not be afraid to buy it.

Buying used comes down to your willingness to look the machine over. Checking hydraulic hoses, looking at filters to see if they have been changed. Running the machine. Don't be afraid to lightly pull on things. Check the level of hydraulic oil. Check grease fittings. When running the hydraulics listen for that noise that indicates grease isn't being used. when running the machine engage the pto.

I really feel like tractors are better equipped to handle time over a car.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #12  
My gas burner 6.0 suburban had at the point the dash cluster died 292,000 miles and over 9,000 hours. My bucket truck with a DT466 is also over 9,000 hours.
We have a 5.3L powered Yukon with around 185k miles and around 5300 hours on it.
For tractors condition matters more to me than hours up to around 2500 hours.

Aaron Z

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #13  
Just make sure the tractor isn't stolen. Some of the horror stories I've read I'm glad I bought new.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #14  
If it were me nothing over 1000. When I was looking I wanted under 500. With that said hours matter but so does age, two things that wear things out time and use. But obviously how it was taken care of, stored etc matter. But I wouldnt be buying anything into the thousands. Ive seen 10,000 hours mentioned, but I think thats a strech for the the livelyhood of an engine, I would think more like 3-5000 is realistic

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #15  
My gas burner 6.0 suburban had at the point the dash cluster died 292,000 miles and over 9,000 hours. My bucket truck with a DT466 is also over 9,000 hours.

My "agree with the 40,000 mile comparison" was agreement with the Storm56 comment of "just broken in".
Are you suggesting that 292,000 miles also equates with "just broken in"?

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #16  
The 10,000 hours is a number have heard from many in the farming industry. For some tractors that may be less than 10 years. For others as been pointed out never will see 2,000 hours just rust away. I do care how many hours on a tractor but also concerned with too few of hours. If a tractor is run say 52 hours a year, that is an average of 1 hour per week. That tractor may have been cranked up say twice for each hour on it so to me a lot of startups which is when a bit part of wear takes place, especially if cold start ups.
At same time the real low hour, how much OLD fuel is run through it?

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #17  
The 10,000 hours is a number have heard from many in the farming industry. For some tractors that may be less than 10 years. For others as been pointed out never will see 2,000 hours just rust away. I do care how many hours on a tractor but also concerned with too few of hours. If a tractor is run say 52 hours a year, that is an average of 1 hour per week. That tractor may have been cranked up say twice for each hour on it so to me a lot of startups which is when a bit part of wear takes place, especially if cold start ups.

Different between commercial/farming, and home owner use though good and bad.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #18  
I had two friends. One had an old dozer, low hours, shed kept. Other person wanted a dozer. The machine had been started about twice a year for the past 7 years. But no use. The seals and hoses in it were all past their life. The man had to take half of what he wanted. The man that got it had to spend over $10,000 on repairs the first 60 days. I start my machines and run them for at least 30 minutes to an hour every month. If I have time, at least 2 hours. And as stated, maintenance.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #19  

Could indicate a replaced dash cluster or hours have been turned back, too.
I was talking to a tech a few months ago for an AGCO dealer and on bigger equipment, they routinely see MANN and SISU Diesel engines found in Fendt and Massey tractors run 15000 hours without ever being opened up for repairs.
I have a SISU Diesel in my Massey that has about 6000 hours on it and I wouldnt be afraid of buying it.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #20  
My "agree with the 40,000 mile comparison" was agreement with the Storm56 comment of "just broken in".
Are you suggesting that 292,000 miles also equates with "just broken in"?

No for light duty vehicles 300,000 miles is pretty much junked.