RTV - X1100C

/ RTV - X1100C #1  

swampy6

Gold Member
Foothills of The Adirondacks, New York State
Tractor
Mahindra 4540 4WD
We're looking at the Kubota RTV - X1100C, we live here in the Foothills of the Adirondacks with some nice hills. We have a 2007 Rhino Special Edition 450 with just over 7500 working miles on it and never had any problems getting up the hills, how do you think the RTV - X1100C will do?

Also what type of tires would be best for plowing and working in the woods, the HD or the ATV tire? Since the engine is under the bed compared to the Rhino in the front, will this make the RTV unbalanced going up a hill?

Thanks

/ RTV - X1100C #2  
I have one and go up 20 degree hills with light loads of 400 lbs. Never tried with more load but I am sure it would be okay. The torque available is quite high. The hydrostatic transmission will slow the RTV going uphill but more torque becomes available. All in all the RTV is a slow workhorse even on level ground.

The rear engine does not make it more tippy. I think you would have to be just about wheelied upright before it would make things worse.

I have the Worksite tires and plow on 16 degree hills, the tires are useless on the uphill first pass, no issues after that. I run rear chains now and it is much better, that scared away the snow last year. No issues with the tires in the woods. The RTV is heavy and will get stuck more often than your Rhino.

/ RTV - X1100C
Thanks for the quick reply, I wouldn't have much of a load in the back other then chainsaws and some other related stuff when heading up a hill. The reason we were thinking of the RTV-1100C with a Boss V-Plow with a cab and A/C with heat would be so the wife could plow the driveway if something happened to me plus the Rhino has very high mileage.

I do most of the plowing with a Mahindra 4540 in the winter, I'm out in the open but the tractor hasn't met a snowfall that it can't walk through.

I haven't plowed with the Rhino since we purchased the tractor in 2016, I have chains for the front and back tires but it would only do so much.

/ RTV - X1100C
I have one and go up 20 degree hills with light loads of 400 lbs. Never tried with more load but I am sure it would be okay. The torque available is quite high. The hydrostatic transmission will slow the RTV going uphill but more torque becomes available. All in all the RTV is a slow workhorse even on level ground.

The rear engine does not make it more tippy. I think you would have to be just about wheelied upright before it would make things worse.

I have the Worksite tires and plow on 16 degree hills, the tires are useless on the uphill first pass, no issues after that. I run rear chains now and it is much better, that scared away the snow last year. No issues with the tires in the woods. The RTV is heavy and will get stuck more often than your Rhino.

What do you think about having the hand throttle kit installed, it will give you your rpms before you step on the pedal. The video I saw thought that if you're running these in a higher elevation and taking on hills, you should get it.
YouTube

/ RTV - X1100C #5  
The Boss plow and cab for the wife to plow if I am away was also one of my reasons. Otherwise I had an open station cab tractor which feels precarious.

I had heard of the throttle kit for accessories but did not realize it cold help for hills. Being at 1000 feet my altitude likely is not a problem. I can see the kit being worthwhile if your work-time involves longer travel times. For me most of the fun is being outside so I am not in a hurry.

/ RTV - X1100C
Two questions,
1. What chains are you running on yours?

2. The RTV - X1100C we're getting has a hand throttle on it but according to the sales person, you pull it up and not turn it like the video, I'm wondering if the one that comes has a kit is different?

Thanks

/ RTV - X1100C #7  
I have the RTV X1100C with hand throttle kit operating at 8600 ft in the mountains. It runs fine (smokes a bit here and there), and takes a few extra turns to start when cold. The key as mentioned is to get used to a HST transmission. It is NOT like the Rhino. With HST the less you press the pedal, the more torque you get (at lower speed). The hand throttle kit makes it operate like a tractor. You can throttle up the engine RPM so you have more instant power available. I just throttle it up when going up steep hills. Thats about it. As mentioned it is a slow workhorse. I have the HD tires...run over rocks and tree branches all the time. PM if you have specific questions.

/ RTV - X1100C #9  
Two questions,
1. What chains are you running on yours?

2. The RTV - X1100C we're getting has a hand throttle on it but according to the sales person, you pull it up and not turn it like the video, I'm wondering if the one that comes has a kit is different?

Thanks

Chains I run these. Remember I am 100% gravel/dirt road. Double check your sizes. I did get mine directly from tire chain.com Amazon.com: TireChain.com 26x8.-12, 26 8. 12 ATV UTV Stud Tire Chains, Priced per Pair: Automotive

The newer kit is a pull up. You press the top, it actuates up and down. Just press, pull up, and let it all go. That’s it. Much better than the twist to me.

I also use a boss V plow...amazing plow.

/ RTV - X1100C
I have the RTV X1100C with hand throttle kit operating at 8600 ft in the mountains. It runs fine (smokes a bit here and there), and takes a few extra turns to start when cold. The key as mentioned is to get used to a HST transmission. It is NOT like the Rhino. With HST the less you press the pedal, the more torque you get (at lower speed). The hand throttle kit makes it operate like a tractor. You can throttle up the engine RPM so you have more instant power available. I just throttle it up when going up steep hills. Thats about it. As mentioned it is a slow workhorse. I have the HD tires...run over rocks and tree branches all the time. PM if you have specific questions.

Thanks for the info, did you get the block heater installed?