How do I find the hole?

/ How do I find the hole? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Yeah, yeah, I know, trim around it. But that's gonna be a problem.

Out mowing yesterday as I was making a second pass over an area, I noticed that familiar angry crowd flying low to the ground, looking for whatever that was that just rolled over them. I saw them from far enough away so as not to get back into their way. Stayed clear and left that area unmowed. This morning while it was still cool, I made another pass and sure enough I woke them up again.

But the problem is that it's near the base of a tree and the grass is long enough that I can't see the entrance to be able to spray or dust. I need to string trim around the base of the tree, but I ain't goin' that close!!!!! :thumbdown:

Ideas? Or do I just leave it until Fall, or maybe hope a skunk gets hungry?

/ How do I find the hole? #2  
Go in at night when they are all asleep find the hole (many times there are multiple) pour in gas, stand back a light! Sometimes you have to do it 2 nights in a row. Ask me how i know!

/ How do I find the hole? #3  
Go at night with a flashlight and hose down the whole area with the foamy wasp spray. (they stay in at night) It took two applications for the yellow jacket nest I accidentally found by the pond. I only got stung twice but it hurt like a Mutha.

/ How do I find the hole? #4  
Wait until they are in direct sunlight...you should be able to pinpoint the exact spot where they are entering and leaving the nest...

/ How do I find the hole?
That's the problem, the grass is too long to see the ground. Flashlight or Sunlight won't help. And up against the base of the tree, I can't mow low close enough. Plus it's on a fairly steep slope which makes string trimming tough. Thinking I'll either have to suit up for war and take my chances, spray the whole area a couple of feet around or dust it with Sevin or just avoid the area for the next couple of months.

Tree is slated to come down this Fall anyways.

/ How do I find the hole? #6  
They are going to fly directly to the hole or directly above the entry point of the nest...they are not going to land a ways off and walk in...LoL...!
Watch directly where they land the entry point will be directly below it...easy to find after dark when a nest can be approached without a problem...!

/ How do I find the hole? #7  
We had an 8" paper wasp nest in the eves and I had to suit up for battle. Mosquito hat with net, long shirt, long pants, gloves, boots and a jacket plus a can of wasp and hornet spray guaranteed to spray 20 feet. Only problem, no clear shot from 20 feet away. I had to stand within 4 feet of this buzzing ball of biting and stinging monsters. I squirted it at least 6 different times over 2 days and finally managed to kill them all. Problem solved until next year.

/ How do I find the hole? #8  
I would like to sneak in at night with a can of expanding foam and fill up those holes. That would be interesting. With my luck, they would have multiple escape hatches.

/ How do I find the hole? #9  
Go in at night when they are all asleep find the hole (many times there are multiple) pour in gas, stand back a light! Sometimes you have to do it 2 nights in a row. Ask me how i know!

Diesel or kerosene works just as well and is much less dangerous than gas. No need to light it. The fumes do the work.

/ How do I find the hole? #10  
Diesel or kerosene works just as well and is much less dangerous than gas. No need to light it. The fumes do the work.
You are correct, but the gas is fun to watch it blow apart. Just stand back, there is an initial 'explosion' and then subsequent 'flame thrower'
Pillars of flame shooting out of r3he holes for a couple minutes.