How do I find the hole?

/ How do I find the hole? #71  
Little shed's cool. Got a couple of decks just above the surface like that. Considering taking both out and going to pavers of some sort. They seem to harbor things I'd rather they didn't.

Not a bad idea!

/ How do I find the hole?
Well, I found the hole. I had sprayed the area with grass killer just after I posted this thread, just a foot or so spot where I suspected it would be. Mowed a week ago and no response in the way of an angry cloud, so I thought I'd chased them off. Yesterday I rolled over it again and when I looked back they were stirred up and furious. But I was able to watch from a short distance and see where they were going as they settled in. This morning while it's still cool, I'll be applying a liberal dose of this:

300.JPG

With the red tube, you can get it inside and it foams up and fills the void.

/ How do I find the hole?
Didn't get a chance yesterday before it warmed up. Made time this morning. They were kind enough to leave a guard posted on the front porch, but at 63 degrees, Old Joe was movin' kinda' slow and he just looked at me as I gave him a face full of the above spray. Then I shoved the tube down the hole and let'er rip until the foam bubbled back up.

Won't have to mow over that area again for a few days, but I'll be cautious when I do.

/ How do I find the hole? #74  
I had a guy come look at my snowsled yesterday... it wasn't until he got there that I remembered the hornet's nest under the cover. They're one of the less aggressive species so I told him to stand back, told my dog to stand next to him and slowly worked the cover off. They weren't very happy but I kept my distance and didn't get stung. Hopefully the turkeys took care of the nest afterward.

/ How do I find the hole? #75  
Wouldn't work all that well for a ground nest but here is how I took care of a nest in a tree last year:

/ How do I find the hole? #76  
20200906_145232.jpg
Found this gem on the lawn yesterday, blew out of a tree nearby. Called the hornet collectors, but this morning something had eaten the nest. Venom folks got back to me that bald faced hornet demand is down this summer so they would have to charge me. Problem had taken care of itself.
Earlier poster had commented that yellow jackets will chew through foam. Was at the hardware store getting some spray foam for a different purpose and noticed that there is a bee and ant proof type available now.