Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #1  

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
I recently acquired a zero turn mower, and it is the loudest piece of equipment I have ever operated. My traditional el-cheapo hearing protectors are not up to the task, so I've obtained some fancy new Peltor protectors.

However ... I also need protective eyewear, the mower throws up a lot of dust and debris. Short of wearing chemical goggles with an elastic band (big, unwieldy, maybe what I need though), is there something I can wear that won't insert under the ear cups of my hearing protectors? Because regular protective eyewear that wears like glasses definitely defeats some of the sound protection when the stems go over your ears and under the ear cup.

Looking for suggestion if you have had this particular problem.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups
I have seen ear cups that are notched for glasses frames,
Also there is this option;
ISOtunes Xtra | Bluetooth Hearing Protection Earbuds – ISOtunes.com

Thanks, but I'm going with the over ear protection, so I have a fat heavily insulated set of ear muffs that I will no doubt hate in the heat, but man are they quiet.

Now I just want eyewear that won't defeat their purpose.

Interestingly, most of the silicone or other foam ear inserts I looked at weren't anywhere close in noise reduction capabilities (according to the NRR or whatever it was rating) compared to the top shelf ear muffs. Taking it all with a grain of salt, since many vendors over-claim or use non-standards-based rating systems if they can get away with it.
I've used silicon ear inserts a lot in the past for other things, but was shooting for max coverage this time because this mower was really getting to me with the noise.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #4  
There are some safety glasses, clear and tinted, that have very thin temples. Some are soft flexible plastic almost as thin as paper. They work pretty well under ear muff style protectors.
The last ones I bought were at Menards, but there were several to choose from and I would imagine they are available at HD and Lowes. I opened the packages to get a true feel for them before buying. Actually they were for my son, who uses them for the same purpose as you... mowing on a zero turn with large hearing protectors.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #5  
Use expanding spray foam to fill in the gaps.

I have had the same problem,

Also, I was about to throw away a set of PELTOR behind the head, muffs, as they were not quiet anymore. Discovered the foam had gotten wet and just required some adjustment. Good as new. It doesn't take much to defeat hearing proetection.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #8  
Looks like what my Dental Hygienist was wearing yesterday. Poor Girl!

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #9  
I recently acquired a zero turn mower, and it is the loudest piece of equipment I have ever operated. My traditional el-cheapo hearing protectors are not up to the task, so I've obtained some fancy new Peltor protectors.

However ... I also need protective eyewear, the mower throws up a lot of dust and debris. Short of wearing chemical goggles with an elastic band (big, unwieldy, maybe what I need though), is there something I can wear that won't insert under the ear cups of my hearing protectors? Because regular protective eyewear that wears like glasses definitely defeats some of the sound protection when the stems go over your ears and under the ear cup.

Looking for suggestion if you have had this particular problem.

u-g-Q1BWH5M0.jpg

Attachments

• warren-mitchell-actor-with-bowler-hat-moustache-and-monocle-1972-shutterstock-editorial-1491763a.jpg
    warren-mitchell-actor-with-bowler-hat-moustache-and-monocle-1972-shutterstock-editorial-1491763a.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 159
   / Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #10  
Sorry, I troll a little bit. But have you tried just ear plugs? That's what I wear when mowing, it's works for me.