Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #23  
Yabut, don't you need to be Vulcan to do that? I have no point on the top of my ears. :confused3:

In these irrational times, we would all do good to be more spock like.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #24  
In these irrational times, we would all do good to be more spock like.

Thats not logical.............
S5sAm42l.jpg

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #26  
oakley gas can

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups #28  
Interestingly, most of the silicone or other foam ear inserts I looked at weren't anywhere close in noise reduction capabilities (according to the NRR or whatever it was rating) compared to the top shelf ear muffs.
Interested to hear which ones you were comparing. I use some sort of hearing protection every day (I run chain saws and chippers for a living) and the plugs and muffs that I have experience with have all been within a 24-33 dBa rating, with plugs generally being somewhat higher.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups
I'm curious what you have for ear muffs, as most of what I've found have less noise reduction than ear plugs. When running chainsaw for any length of time I use both plugs and muffs, otherwise I will hear the darned thing echoing in my head all night.

You say that you will hate them in the heat and I agree. Yet you also would hate asking "what?" every time somebody speaks to you... and don't ask me how I know that.

I bought these: 3M PELTOR X5A Over-the-Head Ear Muffs, Noise Protection, NRR 31 dB, Construction, Manufacturing, Maintenance, Automotive, Woodworking, Heavy Engineering, Mining: Safety Ear Muffs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Used them for the first time yesterday.

As you point out, different folks want different properties in protection. Hearing voices is not among my goals when I'm out on the mower. Were they the best for tuning out the mower, I have no idea, and I haven't compared them to plugs for the mower. I can say they completely eliminated the sound of the pool pump. I turned it on while wearing the muffs, and I could not tell _at all_ if it was on except for the light. So +1 for that. It shows though that these things have different frequency bands in which they excel.

As for sweating up the hearing protectors, that's kind of just part and parcel of wearing them, in any model/style, I just do my best to dry them off after I'm done.

Yesterday I wore my, not sure sure what they're called so I'll call them "chemical lab goggles", with an elastic around my headset. Worked well enough. No doubt I've reached a new level of lawn dorkness. So maybe I'll continue to go with that, unless someone suggests some cooler looking glasses with really thin side pieces.

Of course the other problem with the head set is my hat won't go over it either. One problem at a time, maybe ear plugs are the way to go. I'll have to dig up an ancient pair of unused silicone ones and see if they work any better.

/ Eye protection that doesn't insert under hearing protection cups
I wear Honeywell ear protection with built in speakers which are big enough that they cover the arms of my safety glasses that go over my ears.

Amazon.com: Howard Leight by Honeywell Sync Stereo MP3 Earmuff (1311), Black: Home Improvement

Looks nice. I would have liked a bluetooth set, but all the ones I looked at lost many decibels of noise reduction, and since the mower is so extreme in the noise it produces I didn't want any compromises. Subjectively, my table saw (and dust vac) must be noisier than my mower, but I never notice it as being unreasonable with my old crummy hearing protectors. But then I'm not sitting with the table saw for two hours. Or maybe it isn't noisier than the mower, the mower is seriously loud. On the mower, I noticed that with my old hearing protectors, the noise reduction was really compromised wearing glasses under the padding. Thus this topic to find something better.

Speaking of sitting on the thing, I was wondering how much noise I experience on the mower is just coming through my body because I am sitting on the mower. No idea, but I suppose headphones (or plugs) can't do much about that.