Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #41  
Price are reflecting the market. People who invested in lumber stock would have doubled there money from April to Aug. 1000 BF in april was 251.50 and on Aug 10 it was 663.70. I think Covid has a lot to do with it. April everything "non-essential" was shutting down including probably sawmills. Also a volatile market tends to have people put money in commodities or precious metals. Housing, midwest storms and I honestly believe that people are looking at fleeing the cities. This defund the police, riots are Ok now etc. has really got people re-evaluating things.

I don't know if the lumbermen are cashing in on this yet because the mills might have had a surplus but if I had mill I would be running it 24/7 at these prices. They are right now at all time highs.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #42  
I am told that the increase is not due to the sawmills. With the people leaving the cities we may be headed to record housing starts.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #43  
I am told that the increase is not due to the sawmills. With the people leaving the cities we may be headed to record housing starts.

It's crazy times right now. I was online looking to order another freezer because wife and I are raising our own hog and beef. Almost every freezer at HD and lowes was backordered until november. Things you would not expect all the sudden are either out of stock or prices have gone way up.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #44  
It's crazy times right now. I was online looking to order another freezer because wife and I are raising our own hog and beef. Almost every freezer at HD and lowes was backordered until november. Things you would not expect all the sudden are either out of stock or prices have gone way up.

Yep. Tons of lost appliances with that tropical storm. Get luck under warranty, pay a stupid repair or wait months for a fridge.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #45  
Crazy times but good times for me, I think. I'm sitting on just north of 65 grand in gold right now. All in a ziplock bag too.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #46  
I've always wondered about investing in precious metals....

If things are really bad who will accept precious metals as currency? What exactly are they going to do with it? They can't eat it. Can't burn it in the stove. Can't create light with it.

So if there are any people that have enough resources to sit on precious metals until they are worth something, what are they gonna give for them? Peanuts. They are going to give peanuts. No reason to offer more. Just wait until the holder implodes and take it.

Just my thoughts. Open to variations. :)

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #47  
I've always wondered about investing in precious metals....

If things are really bad who will accept precious metals as currency? What exactly are they going to do with it? They can't eat it. Can't burn it in the stove. Can't create light with it.

So if there are any people that have enough resources to sit on precious metals until they are worth something, what are they gonna give for them? Peanuts. They are going to give peanuts. No reason to offer more. Just wait until the holder implodes and take it.

Just my thoughts. Open to variations. :)
neither have I. i used to have some way back in Krugerrand days of yor. Got rid of them a long time ago. Gold sold for somewhere in the low $600 back in the early 1980's when i sold mine. i purchased it for around $250ish as i recall a few years prior. I needed some cash, so i sold it. then i got hit with an IRS bill as i sold way more than $600 worth of the stuff. The rat government took a hugh portion of my profits in the form of capital gains. Anyways, according to analyst:

The U.S. dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.91% per year during this period, causing the real value of a dollar to decrease. In other words, $1,000 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $3,144.43 in 2020. so the gold i sold in 1980 may have actually lost value if i would have held onto it if you add in inflation. Gold need to be way more that $1,900 an ounce to be worth any more than what it was 40 years ago.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #48  
neither have I. i used to have some way back in Krugerrand days of yor. Got rid of them a long time ago. Gold sold for somewhere in the low $600 back in the early 1980's when i sold mine. i purchased it for around $250ish as i recall a few years prior. I needed some cash, so i sold it. then i got hit with an IRS bill as i sold way more than $600 worth of the stuff. The rat government took a hugh portion of my profits in the form of capital gains. Anyways, according to analyst:

The U.S. dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.91% per year during this period, causing the real value of a dollar to decrease. In other words, $1,000 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $3,144.43 in 2020. so the gold i sold in 1980 may have actually lost value if i would have held onto it if you add in inflation. Gold need to be way more that $1,900 an ounce to be worth any more than what it was 40 years ago.

Well, not quite.....what you say is true if you had bought gold at $1000 per ounce back then. However, you said you actually bought your gold for $250/oz and you sold it a few years later for $600 per ounce. And which sure enough, those were the prices in that period between 1978 to 1980. By buying at $250 oz as you did, your $1000 would have bought you 4 ounces of gold, or almost 4 Kruggerands.

And today when we figure the price of that gold against the inflation rate of 2.91%, the price of gold would only have to be over $833 per ounce - not $3144.43 per ounce - in order for your gold to have kept up with inflation.
Just sayin'

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #49  
All well and good.

My point was, what's gold worth during a financial collapse? Not discrediting it as an investment during good times. Just wondering who's going to give anything for it in bad times?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #50  
Well, not quite.....what you say is true if you had bought gold at $1000 per ounce back then. However, you said you actually bought your gold for $250/oz and you sold it a few years later for $600 per ounce. And which sure enough, those were the prices in that period between 1978 to 1980. By buying at $250 oz as you did, your $1000 would have bought you 4 ounces of gold, or almost 4 Kruggerands.

And today when we figure the price of that gold against the inflation rate of 2.91%, the price of gold would only have to be over $833 per ounce - not $3144.43 per ounce - in order for your gold to have kept up with inflation.
Just sayin'
Actually What i was referring to was the price of gold in 1980.... 40 years ago. the 1980 price was 600 an ounce not 250. At 600 an ounce equates to about 1850 an ounce after inflation which is basically where it's at. My BIGGEST mistake was selling the gold to purchase a piper turbo arrow IV. What a mistake that was. Lost money 2 times.

Last edited: